Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Wallpaper Or Not To Wallpaper

Soubise Wallpaper from the Pompadour Collection - Osbourne and Little


I have been contemplating wallpaper (for one wall in the Great Room and one wall in the Study), for some time now. My tastes have chopped and changed over the past 12 months and now I am not so sure about wallpaper at all (now that my gorgeous 'Dulux Antique White USA' walls are materialising). Despite my indecision, I HAVE been drooling over the new season wallpaper designs due soon from O&L.

Soubise Wallpaper from the Pompadour Collection - Osbourne and Little



Doesn't this fabric to match the wallpaper sound just delicious: "A rose bouquet in the shape of a paisley teardrop, printed in relief in silver and bronze on pure linen with a fine metallic dusting".


Pompadour Marivault - Osbourne and Little

Amalienberg - Designers Guild

Cabriole Duck Egg - Designers Guild

Cabriole Noir - Designers Guild

Believe it or not, hubby just loves the Designers Guild 'Cabriole Noir', above, and can see it, or similar, on the main wall in the study. He reckons his beautiful black desk, with stunning silver lamps either end, would look so fine in front of a wall of this!

Yet, I am thinking....... maybe just do Roman blinds in this design or similar. Is wallpaper too much these days? I am going for a relaxed, neutral, simple feel, with minimal clutter (hence the bookcases). On one hand I love these designs yet on the other I am thinking, "are these designs too eclectic, too bold?" I am not a 'mix it up', 'pattern on pattern' person. I just need to do 'serene'... lots of light, white and simple lines. The office is going to have a lot of black furniture though - desk, library, armchairs, ottoman. What do you think? Can you see any of these in 'The House'? A-M xx

13 comments:

  1. It's a hard one isn't - on one hand it would look fabulous but would you get sick of it? On the other hand, I think it's very exciting to do something a little different. My vote - do one room or a wall! I love the Soubise (Pompadour Collection). And I guess you have to remember, it's not set in stone and can be changed fairly easily in the future if you feel like a change. Go with your heart and trust your judgement - you've done an amazing job so far! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like wallpaper, and I really, really like the ones you have selected. I think any of them, on one accent wall would look great in our new house. My personal issue with wallpaper is my Gemini nature - I am always changing my mind, so wallpaper would be a waste for me, I would be itching to paint over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all! But then I am a 'pattern on pattern' type of girl. I think it would be a different question if it was all over your home, but I think it would look lovely in a study.
    Save one of them as your screen saver on the computer in your current study and see if you like it enough to cover the whole room in it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog; I've been reading it for some time now and love to see how your house is coming along. I am still renting so I live vicariously through yours and other's blogs.

    The wallpaper in the first pic really appeals to me. I find it soothing. It is simple enough to still allow you to change around the décor and should look great with your silver lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say get the price for wallpapering a wall and then make the decision. Some of these beautiful wallpapers are not just expensive, but hideously so. The decision could be made for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wallpapers. If you need inspiration for your walls, you should look through my blog, when I first stared the blog it was only about wall decorations, inklucive, of course, a lot of different wallpapers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing ventured nothing gained is my saying.

    I say go for it. If it's your first instinct, then it's the right one.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  8. AM I would go for wallpaper - there are so many beautiful subtle patterns like the paisley above that neednt overwhelm or overtake the room. Now on the study, I hate to go against the main man behind 'the house' but I think the black and white would be too bold a contrast. Go for wallpaper but maybe a silver/black, light grey/ black pattern which would still offset the black furniture ? Have a great day Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your advice girls. Leigh and Robin, yes I think we will just do one wall in the study to start off. Sheila, I love the idea of silver/black, grey/black. I will start looking. 'Main man' is very flexible and accommodating! ....over to Anette's for some inspiration. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. One wall is a good idea, I did one wall in the bedroom in one of our apartments and are more than happy with the result and the rooom has proved to be really popular on http://www.mydeco.com

    In the other apartment I have decided not to wallpaper but instead are wallpapering the inside of the wardrobes as I think that it will be a nice surprise when you open the door.

    L x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been on the fence about wallpaper for our bedroom for months now and I STILL can't decide. I do love the O&L patterns though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have wallpaper in France - maybe it is too hot or something - but I always adore other people's. Why not start with the study - wallpaper is always good in a more intimate space. I have always thought I would love wallpaper in the bedroom. xv

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx