Sunday, May 3, 2009

Back On Track

Well I have new laptop but no photo software just yet. Life is a bit hectic at present and I am having trouble completing the very basic of household tasks! I did see a TV program last night about a delightful family with 13 children.... put everything in perspective wrt being busy!

Back at the house.... most of the basic lights have been installed and they look just beautiful... if 'basic lights' can look beautiful. As there is now a legal requirement to have 40% fluoros in a house, I was worried that the fluoro fittings would look a bit tragic. The ones I chose look fantastic!... even if I say so myself and hubby even said " we should have had them instead of the 12 volt downlights as well! I got all my 'basic fittings' from a discount lighting warehouse just around the corner from my house. My electrician sources all his light fittings from there and I am so grateful that he put me onto them as I would have been sucked into standard retail prices anywhere else. You have to rummage a bit, to find what you want, but I love a good rummage.... dust/coughing aside!

Our tiler is moving ahead at great speed. The bathrooms look just beautiful. He is a master craftsman and a gentleman at that. He blushed when I exclaimed that the bathrooms looked "bloody gorgeous". It was a spur of the moment thing. I was shocked when I saw the job for the first time. If there was one thing that gnawed at me this whole project, it was my tile selection. I was worried that it wasn't fancy enough. No racing stripes, no ridiculously expensive stone tiles, no 'mother of pearl mosaics, that are all the rage at the moment and the tile that every tile rep tried to talk me in to. So great sigh of relief. Next .......

The random stone out the back is half finished. All the back stone/landscaping will be finished by the end of this week and then we will be able to lay the turf. The front yard is still a frightful mess. The front steps have been made but we are waiting on some steel posts on which to sit them. The steel posts will sit in that block wall area that has to be filled with all the dirt in the driveway. This area will then be concreted over and paved.

I have to put my chandeliers together next Tuesday so my electrician can install them. Some light fittings will have to wait, as I have not yet met them, but I'm sure it will all come together somehow.. it has to. Stove is being installed next Wednesday and then the plumbers will start their final fit off. It's going to be a busy few weeks.

It's hard to imagine that it will all be finished in 26 days time. I will have to be on the ball, co-ordinating all the final approvals (and mortgage) in order to achieve handover by the end of the month. I can't wait to switch my mind off and have a good nights sleep! My pharmacist (new best friend) reckons that the day I move in, my 10 week hacking cough will disappear! Wouldn't that be nice. Icing on the cake!

14 comments:

  1. sounds like its going to be so beautiful! lots of work but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy the end of the project is near. Your nerves must be fried. My deck building should start next week. So happy to have the house mainly finished and workmen out of doors!
    Brenda
    http://cozylittlehouse.blogspot.com
    http://viewfromthepines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you. Just moving house usually gets me frantic. It's amazing what how much unnecessary 'necessities' we collect along life's journey. You will be looking forward to a good rest in your AMAZING new home. Hope you bought new bedding as a reward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you, you must be getting all excited now, not many sleeps to go :-)

    L x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear things are coming along and will be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of work left to do! Can't wait to see photos again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this your place in the picture? It's very relaxing. This is what people have in mind when they go for home remodeling in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go go go! It's all coming together!
    Good luck!

    iLa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are back & wired, gosh aren't things moving ahead! Loved your message over @ The Hedge tonite - thanks for understanding EXACTLY what I'm going thru' this week! Yes, it's a bit sad when you do the HQ tour on your holidays - I've been guilty of doing the same in the U.S.!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - everything's on the move now! Can't wait to see photos of everything when it's finished - it all sounds absolutely wonderful and so very exciting. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. can't wait...bet you can't either!!!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh so close and yet! Bloody computer of yours did it have to go out now? Photos we need photos!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any chance of finding out the name of that great light fitting shop? Things are looking over-budget for us already (have hit rock with the pool plus more) & need to save some $$$.
    Yours in renovating ...
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see some more photos and hear about your progress,take care.Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx