Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lesson's Learnt

Image Courtesy Marston and Langinger

One thing that I have 'painfully' learnt in this building process is that if you find a good tradesman, keep him. It is so difficult to really find good subcontractors, due to 2 things: the skill of the subcontractors employees and the supervision/quality assurance of those employees. If you have an inadequate site supervisor and a subcontractor with mediocre skills, quality finishes will be hard to come by. However, even if you have a poor site supervisor, yet have subcontractors with their own quality assurance regarding their employees, you are in with a chance.

Unlike many other outfits, who take shortcuts wherever they can, e.g, most trades, it has been refreshing to find tradespeople who rigorously defect their own employee's work..... even before you get to it! My new painters, who I have used before on smaller projects, are outstanding! Most days, my new on-site painter gets a visit from someone in the company, for quality assurance of his work. Oh why did sign up for my builder's painter when I should have had you in the first place, Harry Latter and Sons Painters, Morningside, Brisbane? Ask for Nigel. Tell him I sent you!

Thank you Nigel (and Wilfrid) for a beautiful paint job! Paint dust aside.....it's a masterpiece in progress.

Their details? www.paintingbrisbane.com.au

A-M xx

13 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you're finally get a job completed on "the house" that is up to standards. I can't wait to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for quality! I hope your little one is feeling better. I still can't get that pic out of my mind. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to use the builders subcontractors and we have been paying for it every day since. There is not one thing in this house that has not or will not need to be fixed because of the crap job every single sub did. The worst part is we paid for this builders "quality product" , what a joke. You are right, when you find someone who does great work and you like, pay what ever it takes to use them it will save you money and pain in the end. xo, MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finding a good painter in Brisbane - hard to do!! Love your blog and shop, and as a fellow decorator I'm sure you'll hear from me or my clients in the future. Good luck with the rest of the project!
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree A-M - a good tradesperson is worth their weight in gold.
    sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh if I lived in the area ... problem solved!

    Have you heard of Murobond paints, I just love their colour range.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you had the time to go over to my post, with a sick baby, and all your work. Thanks.
    You are so right about contracters.
    I'm trying to get the crumbled driveway fixed,(under warrenty)with our guy. I sent a letter threatening to put in the hands of our lawyer, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just delighted to hear the sense of relief in your writing voice A-M. I take it it's OK for me to stand down Heckyl & Jeckyl (aka Chris & Mike) here in Adelaide. They've had their bags packed for weeks ready to catch that plane at a moments notice! They will be disappointed, but just between you & me, you've probaly saved yourself a fortune in coffee!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am so glad that you have finally the quality of trade that you deserve - I wonder whether they would travel to Melbourne if I ever get the opportunity to build my next "dream" home!! Looking forward to some more photos and glad that I can now access your blog too. Hope little one is feeling ok now, my little darling has had bronchitis for the past week and it breaks your heart seeing them sick. Bye for now, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-M .... looks like youre on the home strech now. Hope you love the finished job as much as you do your new home. Keep everyone healthy and the pictures coming. OH YEA and your great sense of humour! hahha All my best... Julie in Holland

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right. It's very difficult to find a good tradesperson. Our painters were a disaster. Same with the drywall crew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fabulous news - something is finally going your way for a change. Also, loved your photo of your little angel - the light was brilliant and you captured the moment so beautifully. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  13. A-M, I'm soooo happy that the paint is finally getting done RIGHT!! You and your beautiful home deserve the most perfect of jobs! Yay for the new painters! Can you send them to NewHampshire next?!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx