Monday, October 12, 2009

Emotional Upheaval



Well, camp is underway and 'little one' is not coping too well. His tears started as soon as the legendary 'Arthur Dunger' camp hat (Paul Hogan Show character, 1970's) was placed on big brother's head, before he walked out the door.

An emotional balcony farewell waving scene ensued, and then, once the car was a mere speck on the horizon, 'little one' collapsed in a crumpled heap, on the lounge, and sobbed.... literally.... for half an hour. He eventually shuffled upstairs to read a book. Every now and then I would hear a little whimper. "Are you alright, darling?" "Yes, just thinking about him, Mum."

The tears continued throughout the day as 'reminders' were everywhere. While helping with the folding, fishing big brother's guitar pick out of my new washing machine (for the 50 millionth time) - tears. Putting big brothers clothes away - tears. Swimming solo in silence in the pool - tears.

I'm going out in sympathy and missing him terribly too. I just didn't realise how much of a responsible little boy my big boy is. I know this sounds terrible but I can't remember the last time I actually made my boys breakfast. Big one does it all for himself and his little brother. I even found big one in little one's bed in the middle of the night, the other night....."he was just having a nightmare Mum, I'm rubbing his back until he goes back to sleep".

Yep..... I'm aching now. 3 days to go.
A-M xx


Reference: 'Arthur Dunger' Hat, Paul Hogan Show.

16 comments:

  1. Your boys are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-M your boys sound like the most wonderful creatures on the planet. Hearing how much they miss each other is just beautiful. Hang in there - you can all make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a darling boy - yes they grow up and go to camp (and he will probably come back with everything folded and a neatly rolled sleeping bag. I am always surprised as to what they can do. sam and i would love to come and do some christmas shopping at your Shoppe - or better still in person. Let me know and I can pass on details.
    Hope you cope with the golf ball in your throat for the next 3 days. (Rosie howled as they bus pulled away from the curb - nothing that a skinny hot choc with umbrella couldn't fix)
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain AM. School camps sure drive me to my knees, I literally pray all day long,lol...Dear God, please keep her safe during swimming, keep her warm tonight, let the other kids be nice to her etc.
    Then when they get home all I want is details and more details but, alas, my kids clam up when they're tired so I have to wait in suspense for a day or two!
    Your "little one's" reaction is just proof of the depth of his love for big brother, such a precious thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he is the best big brother ever!!
    They are just the cutest, sweetest boys! You are indeed a very lucky Mum!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet. At least you can laugh at this Hogan skit/picture. It is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet are your boys! You are a lucky mum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you could help write a little daily journal to his Big Brother while he is gone of the things that were important to him. Maybe that will help him feel like he is still around. Also let the Big Brother know he was missed.... Hope the Little Brother does well.... Best of luck...
    Julie in Holland :) .....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a totally amazing "Big" boy you have. He sounds like a real gem. I really feel for little one, it's tough. Though I did have a tiny giggle with the tears in odd places as reminders sunk in.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your boys are so sweet! Wish I could say that my girls were always this caring - the last day of the holidays yesterday, and it seemed like one big fight. Obviously cabin-fever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey girls don't get me wrong. There are some hum dinger fights. The little one has a great uppercut. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi A-M. They sound so lovely - please do tell me that they fight ocassionally? I have 3 little girls and my eldest two are quite close in age - this means they can't bear to be without one another but fight constantly with each other when together!! Littler of the two when given something just for her will run straight to big sister and tell her knowing full well that big sister will just take it off her and claim it for herself! Heaven help me when no 3 is big enough to talk back!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What memories this post stirred up A-M....xv

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is amazing to me. I have a 1yo girl and a 2yo boy, and I wonder if they will grow closely like your pair. I don't see it because your oldest (and younger) are obviously very emotional boys (am I right on that assumption??), whereas my oldest boy is emotional, but moreso about himself, not his sister. And she is a real little toughy, I don't know, I guess it's too early to say, but I wonder all the time. When I read your posts about your boys it makes me wonder some more... hmmm, maybe I shouldn't read these posts! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful bond these two share. And how nice to hear how well you're raising them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such precious boys, A-M, they are a total tribute to you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx