Thursday, October 22, 2009

Living With Candles


Inspired by the 'Living With Candles' section in Susan Southam's beautiful book, Velvet Pears, I did a whip around and lit every candle in the house in the early evening, yesterday. Verdict? "You know Mum, this is such a beautiful house". Glad you noticed boys!



A lavishly illustrated and deeply personal story of the creation of an idiosyncratic Australian country garden, Velvet Pears is an inspirational book that is also full of practical ideas. Author Susan Southam created the amazing garden at Foxglove Spires on the land of an old dairy paddock, on the beautiful NSW South Coast in Tilba Tilba. Velvet Pears captures the essence of living simply and with the seasons, within a local community, with a sustainable lifestyle.

With the Aussie dollar the way it is at present, the www.bookdepository.co.uk has this gorgeous book at a great price at the moment.
Enjoy!  A-M xx

12 comments:

  1. Candles and books- two of lifes inexpensive indulgences. In our busy lives it is lovely to take time out and sit in a bath with nothing but the flicker of candlelight- better still take your favourite book with you! I have tea light candles nestled in small dishes between polished stones scattered around the house which provide a lovely warm glow when we are having dinner. I love the Montage of the house that AM built!! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your candles are lovely! This reminds me I need more of them around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The candles look beautiful, your new header looks fantastic and isn't it wonderful when the children show so much appreciation for all the hard work you have put into building the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photo A-M! I love the chandelier perfectly reflected in the mirror :-). Your home is truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just imagine your beautiful house lit up with all of those candles! Are those your Royal Doulton Zandra Rhodes pieces I spy? My friend managed to track down the teapot to add to her collection last week - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I would have to agree with your boys, your house is extremely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes and Amazon is looking good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your house is looking SO elegant...

    :) Cate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when kids appreciate something in the home (or the home itself) like that, makes it all worthwhile. And they are absolutely right in this case your home is lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candles are so beautiful - how lovely that your boys appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book too A-M....Have a wonderful weekend visiting, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My candle stock is way down at the moment & I really miss having them around & glowing. My favourite Company has pulled their's off the market here, so off to do some Internet browsing methinks. I picked up this book the other day at the Bookstore & loved it. Straight on Millie's Chrissie List it went.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx