Friday, April 9, 2010

The B Word


I was never allowed to say that I was 'bored' when I was a little girl. "It shows a lack of imagination and intellience"... so I suppose that's how I feel about my boys and the 'b' word, especially in this day and age where one can't possibly be bored really can they. I mean things WERE really boring back in the 70's. Time went slow. Holidays dragged on. We just used to sit around and wait for things to happen or wander the streets until a bored friend came out to play.

So the 'b' word is not allowed in this house, in this generation (I promise I don't make them sit and eat stew after the lights are out, see 2 posts ago). Little one arrived home from his playdate at lunch time to find no brother (away on his own play date) and a busy Mum. He sat at the kitchen bench, chin in hand and knew, that when I said "what's up", what he was NOT allowed to say! "Just feeling a bit 'empty' Mum". "Oh I see. So what are you going to do about that?" I was not going to help him out in this instance. He has a big brother, who waits on him hand and foot, entertains him, reads to him, helps him. Time to be creative on your own son. I kept busy and he sat sighing. Out of the blue.... "I think I'll make a paper chain". Great. I excused myself and interrupted hubby's business meeting in the office, "ingredients for a paper chain required". His client looked bemused.

And there he sat for over an hour, despite having all the toys and gadgets in the world, a beautiful swimming pool and gorgeous lawn to play on (I could only dream of these when I was little).... making a paper chain.


... and then he rolled in it and got tangled in it... and dragged it through the house.... "no dragging sounds near the office please as Daddy has an appointment".... hours of amusement. Out of boredom comes creativity.... well a little bit!


Playdates at home today so the status quo has returned... no threat of 'b' today.
Have a great day!
A-M xx

20 comments:

  1. Love it. I know that B word well... my mother used to say "well you can always tidy your room..." I haven't used her phrase... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the dreaded "B" word...only mildly better than he did....which seems to be what I am getting today. Miss 13 has her first holiday job and has started today, putting sticks in hotdogs (the things we do for money). The boys are a little lost without her and oh the bickering! They have rooms full of toys, playstations, trampoline, swimming pool (the temperature has plumeted this week so water is too cold to swim), fort, sandpit and the ripsticks they had to have for Xmas that sit unused in the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big smile, thanks for the early morning amusement..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the holidays, but we also have the 'b' word creeping around our home too!

    Surely, they can't just enjoy the thought of having to do 'absolutely nothing' for a week! That's my favourite part of the holidays!

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oi!Prazer em te conhecer! seu blog é Mara! Sobre o post muito legal! passa lá no meu espero sua visita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely-never allowed to be...much less say BORED!
    Your little guy is so precious.
    In a recent post I mention and showed the Squiggles Book {HUGE activity book} it is amazing. It was a big hit for Easter. The little sweetheart said... Mimi, this is the best project book ever.
    So-there you have it. There is also a drawing, painting and doodling book by the same artist. Available through Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! How very creative of him to ask to make a paper chain! So sweet! Have a lovely day of playdate A-M. Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous!

    My 2 are not allowed to utter the 'B' word either. I'm pretty lucky that they are content with their own company and have wonderful imaginations, so the 'B' word doesn't get a mention. It's the "I'm hungry" that tends to grate on me during holidays, which could infact be their way of saying "I'm bored"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is just priceless, I too was banned from being "bored". I think this is why I have books and books of little stories I wrote as a child of all the adventures my siblings and I used to have.
    Engracia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing isn't it. We have the same deal here. I think they need to get to the slow down, nearly shut down, before they can let go and really come out inspriation blazing. Funny.

    jxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol...A-M I love your post about your B- oys...always make me have a little chuckle...and your right..there are no excuses for being bored this day and age...and look how creative he got..out of boredom..super cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. this reminds me of having competitions with my brother & sister who could turn their lolly wrapper into the longest single length by tearing it round and round - entertained us for hours! he is such a lovely boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally adorable! Love that he is not too big to roll around on the floor. Emma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Too funny. Only a boy would roll around in his paper chain and drag it all over the house. My daughter would have displayed it in some way. My boys would have done the same as yours.

    We have the "B" rule in our house as well. It worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! My mother always used to say to my us (2 brothers and 3 sisters)'only boring people get bored'......it worked a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice new header AM! I just popped in to check out the chicken curry recipe, picked up the "secret sachet" at the supermarket tosy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post - what a gorgeous little man. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the stories about your kids. I think it's because they have such a close relationship, whereas my sister was always trying to beat me up! Anyway, very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is totally cute! Great post, and your little guy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet. It reminds me of that old idea that when you give children fancy toys at Christmas it is the cardboard boxes they came in that they end up playing with. (So true, and I remember this frtom my own childhood)!

    I like your boy's creativity - he looks like he was wrestling with the great white octopus in that last shot. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx