Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Break From All The Fuss


Drama central here this weekend. Little one's pet stick insect didn't make it...... and he couldn't understand why..... as he had been carefully following all the steps in the 'How To Care For Stick Insects' fact sheet that he downloaded from the internet. Honestly he cried for ages... totally broken. Didn't help that Mummy and Daddy burst out laughing when he answered our "how do you know that he is dead" question with "well, he's lying on his back and not moving".

Big brother distracted him by encouraging another bug hunt. You wouldn't think we would have so many bugs being 'inner city with new garden'. They found the most disgustingly large locusts on some of our plants, to which Daddy promptly said, "get rid of them, they eat whole plants in a day". Little one was mortified, "what!??... you can't kill them, they're extremely rare".... another outburst of laughter from us and he was broken again... too much trauma for one day. Guess what... one said locust is being lovingly cared for in the bug hut until he meets his untimely end in a few days..... it's all the man handling and hugs that kills them, I am sure. He has been given the name 'John Whitley'... I have no idea why.... not 'John'.... but 'John Whitley'.

And in more tragic news, Nigel, the 'over-loved' Bearded Dragon Lizard Thing, keeping Brian (the other over-loved lizard) company, is in a very bad way and has entered into what appears to be early rigor mortis. Much tears from older son.... so they (all the lads in this house) have set off on a trip to the Pet Superstore for some emergency lizard care. I'm taking a breather from all the drama, sipping some tea in a peaceful house. Frankly I am a bit sick of all this bug/lizard fuss.... it takes over all our waking hours! Isn't my hubby a darling, he dropped everything to drive the lizard ambulance.

Once upon a time this blog used to be all about 'The House'.... it's the happenings in the house that are taking up all my time these days! Yep, no butterflies and rainbows here....still hard core creepy crawly stuff. Back to the books... told you I couldn't keep away... almost made it!
A-M xx

P.S. They're back, hmmm too short a tea break for me. Apparently the 'super worms' purchased last week are a no go for baby Bearded Dragons... they need 90% live crickets and only 10% veges.... bad case of indigestion perhaps?... he's still not looking too good... the car trip in a plastic container probably did not help much either. These 2 very spoilt lizards are now the proud owners of a 'heat rock' to keep them warm in their tank, during the winter. Oh my husband is a softie when it comes to our boys and their passions... but he summed it up beautifully when he walked in the door and whispered to me, with a big sigh, "I can't believe we are making such a fuss over something we would normally just step on in the garden".... boy did we belly laugh! The things we do for our children.... but they will remember these tokens of love, I am sure!

Have a great Sunday!

21 comments:

  1. Oh I started laughing and then had to read it out to Mr DJ....Drama central...hang in there ;o
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the love and care the insects get is great. One of our stick insects died when we were away for a weekend recently and NO ONE NOTICED for two days. Not a tear was shed. It was mounted on a bit of egg carton with pins and sat on the kitchen bench for nearly a week before I threatened to call in the health inspector. I have a hard bunch of scientific types here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gorgeous. Glad you checked in. Glad I've got two girls to temper my son's yearning for insect pets! Oh hang on, they tortured a wounded bee playing animal hospital last week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you write about your family. It's almost like if we were there watching everything. Funny kids you have, enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entertaining, endearing and endlessly funny to read your story of boys, bugs and wonderful fathers! Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the blog posts about your boys! All the best for a speedy recovery Nigel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. These are the memories that remain. Having said that, bugs, insects and reptiles are not for me! I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need to upgrade to a kitten or a puppy!! ;-)

    It's great to see that your sons have such a love and appreciation for even the smallest and least appealing little animals :-)

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, what a drama! Your poor boys, though it is so nice to see that they care :)
    I hope the lizard pulls through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this stage of keeping frogs, lizards and such as 'pets'. And I remember with fondness when this stage passed! But it is darling to see our sons in such a caring and nurturing way, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahahahaha....and you take it all in your stride A-M ..well done! Love the new logo too...you know that would be the kind of house hubby and I would walk past during our afternoon walks and sigh..and think..ahhh ...one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crikey mate, it's all go at your place! I'm glad it's not just my girls who are emotionally attached to their pet bugs! Bless their little souls... I think you are right though, they are going to remember your loving efforts in the future.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading about your boys :) Your family are part of your home and so reading about them is an important part of the 'House That A-M Built' :) Hope Mr Lizard makes an improvement x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was away from home for ten days (in Murwillumbah!) and one of the great pleasures of getting back was reading seven of your blogs in one swoop! You bring back the days when my children were young, and my elder son protected the younger. They are still very close, heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boys will be boys. Cute story and what caring parents you are. It brings back memories of my beloved middle brother (who sadly has passed) hiding a praying mantis egg in his red erecktor set box (building toy set that every boy in the 1950's had here in the States). Imagine my Mother opening the box and thousands if not millions of baby praying mantis jumping out. It was so funny! (My hubby still has his erecktor set.)

    Teacup Lane (Sandy)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My friend's sons have bearded dragons too and she has live crickets in her fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, your house and my house are identical! We have a bearded dragon that we thought died because it wasn't moving but I guess it was having a shedding problem. No idea but I am the one who has to go ad buy the live crickets. Um, I never signed up for this people! We have also had a few lizards escape their cages and have been lost for a week. I could not believe they survived. The things we do for our kids. I feel like we have a small petting zoo in our home!

    My husband and I have laughed many laughs about the creatures and the sadness the kids feel when a creature dies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The drama of pets...they're worth it though. We have two cats and the older one, Lenny, can be very annoying. However, whenever my 4 year old is upset Lenny will magically appear and sit with his paw on her leg, looking up at her affectionately until she is ok. Animals are amazing..Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh A-M, you have two little Steve Irwins in the making here! So lovely to see such caring and kind kids, you guys are obviously doing something very right. And hey, send them to my place for a day - they'd have a ball with all the wildlife we have here! A little family of sugar gliders have taken up residence next door, and they would have to be the cutest things I've ever seen. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my A-M! You have had one heck of a weekend haven't you? While the whole ordeal may seem funny or frustrating to you, you are teaching your sons how to love and care for things. Valuable skills! I hope you have a fantastic week!

    XO, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there,

    So you're moving on, so soon! But I can understand that you want to try out new things with the next "project". I'd love to look at the agents photos, where do I look?

    Wishing you success and looking forward to hearing all the new, exciting things to come!

    Angela x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx