Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Details, Details

This is the only photo I have that shows the whole laundry... sort of..... you can see the steps in the middle, leading up to the powder room. I planned the laundry around the pool believe it or not... a pool run... straight from the pool, down the deck on the side of the house, through the laundry door, dump the bathers into the laundry sink and head up to the shower in the powder room.... voila..... no water in the house. See my lovely Rubie Green Roman blind that Amanda made for me?... and the matching (to the front porch) balustrade outside on the laundry deck. I set the overhead cupboards 900 above the bench so I wouldn't bump my head on them... makes for a spacious work space. Our whole electrical control panel is hidden in one of the big cupboards... nice and central... no spiders! Love my laundry.... love the pool run.. will do similar again for sure.


Can't you tell I've flogged the disc of photos that the real estate agent took. May as well get mileage out of them while I am living here ...and hey you've seen the quality I produce with my 'handbag, building site camera'... these are so much better... even with that evil fish eye/architectural lens (that makes 3 metre ceilings look like a cupboard).  I have to thank you Tamarin (photographer) for sneaking in all the extra ones for me. I was a bit emotional at the photography session so she took lots for me... for posterity. At least I'll have something to pour over when trying to remember specific details/measurements for the next place.

Thanks so much for your support of my sale. It's very cathartic... this out with the old, in with the new. Still loading things up as I find them, so be sure to check back. Mainly jewellery now. Super bargains. Sure have some trips to the post office today!
A-M xx

Laundry steps lead up to this powder room. That's a  shower behind that wall.. big enough for 2 little boys. No glass! Planned it that way. Shower rose is on the far wall so the spray doesn't make it past the window. Hate cleaning glass.... so schemed around not having it. I cut up my floor tiles (used the same ones in all bathrooms and laundry) into mosaics for the shower base....defines the area better and makes it more interesting and less slippery!

 Finishing off with an amateur shot by moi - to show you the view from the powder room. Oh look, there's a load of washing.
We have 3 metre ceilings in the laundry stepping up to 2.7 in the powder room.

29 comments:

  1. I am IN LOVE with your powder/laundry room setup. You are so creative and seriously so practical. You think outside of the box. What is a "shower rose" (is that silly of me to ask?...I've never heard of it before)?

    Good luck with your house, I will be so sad when you're not posting your lovely Monday Nooks from it. I have high hopes that you'll post equally lovely things from your new place, though. Thanks for always giving us a peek into your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shower rose - shower head - shower nozzle - shower thingy... what is it called these days? I must brush up on my terminology... not up to fixtures and fittings yet in my course.. still the yucky stuff.. ..although rather important .... cement, footings. A-M xx
    Thanks Julianne, for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how funny---i was going to ask you to post more photos of your laundry and well, today you did!! i'm a reader not a one to leave comments {i have 2 little ones & oh, my--never a dull moment!} I love reading your blog and the thoughts you have on home building. Plus your home is beautiful & can't wait to see your next project!!

    truly,
    kara

    ReplyDelete
  4. A-M, what a brilliant job you did with everything in your divine house. So many people seem to run out of energy by the time they get to laundries and powder rooms - not you! These photos are truly gorgeous - just imagine what you can achieve the next time around. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever get my dream house with my dream pool and so on and so on then I'm stealing your pool - laundry - powder room idea, it's fantastic.
    Have a great day A-M!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever, stylish A-M..of course you had a direct route from the pool to the laundry/powder room. Good thinking. We have a direct route down the side of the house to the laundry/mudroom and it's very helpful when we've been puddle hopping. Your laundry is incredible - smart, gorgeous design. Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great laundry. I'd love to have one like yours one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great laundry! and I agree head banging on cupboards is not nice! note: next house higher for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the new pics A-M. Your layout and design is really practical for a family, and I'm all for anything that makes life easier. I'm really interested to see what you do with your next build, because I can't imagine there'd be much you'd want to change? It all looks pretty perfect from here! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the 3m high ceilings. Is it the normal height over there? Here the normal height for the new houses is 2.7m
    Sorry to ask, but you always mention that you are studying, what is it that you are taking classes for? Technical school or college? I was just curious.
    The laundry room is very functional, I loved it!
    Mine has a laundry chute from the room above, so we just send the dirty clothes downstairs that way.And I placed it in the way between garage and kitchen, so everybody takes off coats and dirty shoes before entering the house.
    We women are always thinking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have probably mentioned this before but I have serious Laundry Envy.... the one thing we did not get right in our renovation was the size of our laundry - pre children and pre cat I just had no idea. It drives me crazy - mind you I guess I am lucky to even have a separate space because I know many do not. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just found your 2 blogs and I am very excited. Your home is gorgeous! Congratulations! You actually have a laundry very similar to mine so I think we may have similar taste! Can't wait to see more! Come and visit me anytime and have a great Tuesday.
    Best wishes
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing these photos. I just love the details, I am filing them all away in my mind for "one day". I love the idea of the pool run. So sensible, especially somewhere to toss the bathers on the way past to the shower. Love the knobs on the laundry cupboards. It makes sense to have something so pretty in the room where a lot of work is done.
    What ever happened to the clothesline? Did you find somewhere to site it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dream of having a laundry like this one day....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously in love with your vision A-M - will you design my house when I build in Murwillumbah!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahhh Murwillumbah! I lived in the hospital Nurses Quarters when I was the Dietitian at Tweed Heads Hospital, 20 years ago!! Very fond memories of that fine town! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my...I have been a faithful follower of your lovely blog for over a year now...& I think I'm just as sad as you that you're moving on from this beautiful home! But have no doubt the next place will be just as lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would actually like to do laundry in that gorgeous room, somehow it wouldn't be a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh AM, I love your laundry.

    Few questions: What colour have you painted your walls/trims in the laundry, and what kind of cornice is that? Cheers :)

    April

    ReplyDelete
  20. April - Walls: Dulux Antique White USA, Trims: Plain old builders white.
    Cornice from Aussie Plaster Products, Product Code - C10, Ovolo with step profile. Ht = 155mm, Depth = 120mm. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simony, I am studying Residential Drafting, Building Design. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks :)

    And last question: What colour is the exterior of your house?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A-M! You will designing my home! Just finding that perfect block of land on Sydney harbour. Be patient with me won't you!! Actually. How about Noosa Sound instead? Whichever suits you!!

    Thanks for your encouragment too... PJ's all day is my idea of heaven! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'd do a lot of bad things for a gorgeous laundry like that! jxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. ahhhh you did such a super job....so are you already planning the next one? I hope the buyers know how LUCKY they are! I might have missed it but "which" magazine AM? I have to rush out and buy it if its not one i already subscribe to...
    hope all is well, Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing!!! :))))
    Do you mind me asking what material your laundy benchtop and cupboard doors are made out of?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so in love with your gorgeous laundry!! What a wonderful, practical set-up you have created. I love how you have thought out every aspect of your home planning so well. Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
  28. you know i can never get enough of your house. quickie questions - light fitting - from one world collection? - if so i think they are the same i'm getting for my kitchen.... x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful laundry :)
    Do you do your ironing on the benchtop on ironing board?

    B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx