Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Kitchen Thoughts

They're rattan placemats, in a tray, on the floor that I forgot to move out of the way....
as frustrating as finding the creepy crawly cleaner in real estate pool shots. Point and shoot. No time to tidy up!

Thought I'd put all the real estate kitchen photos in one post.... for posterity and future reference.


Seriously intentionally simple kitchen but oh so functional. No-one will ever be able to convince me to NOT have a sink in my island bench... ever... regardless of what is 'fashionable' or not. I read in design blogs how generally 'offensive' it is to have a sink in the island. It works for me. One sweep of the right hand and all crumbs land in the sink to be collected by the drainer. I couldn't think of anything worse than having my back to family life, with a sink on the wall. I must admit I always try to have a beautiful bunch of flowers near the tap.... oh and it helps to scheme a beautiful tap into the whole picture. That was top of the list for the kitchen.

Oh look, disguised beautiful tap

My beautiful chairs are staying with the house....now discontinued Riviera Maison stock.... sob..... can't get them anymore. I LOVE them. The Paris monuments and the French clock are also staying.... out of respect for the kitchen. There are certain things I could not take away from the house as they are integral to her beauty... so I willingly surrendered them to the new owners.

Phew, just as well I cleaned the floors... no secrets here. This was a great idea this shelf.. and see my hidden powerpoints up in the top left corner... didn't want them ruining the look of the panelling on the island .... very useful for rice cookers and the lot. I like cooking on the island bench. Oh the floors have been a joy too....I know you are going to ask.... beat you to it.... Spotted Gum Select... semi gloss... so easy to keep clean and tough as old boots....been here a year and I challenge you to find a scratch!.... with 2 running, bug hunting boys..... a really good hardwood.

Oh chairs - I miss you already.

View from the breakfast table, over to the kitchen. I live on that table... study, newpapers, computer, house plans, coffee, chatting to visitors.
 Looks all a bit wonky with the evil fish-eye lens that they use.

And a final sweeping view over to the media area. See how I did a square-ish bulkhead over the media area to the right, to delineate it. In the bulkhead recess, I lined it with beadboard and bits and pieces to make it an interesting feature. It's all very open plan out here so I wanted to make sure it just didn't look like a barn. Look I can see the TV from my sink - 'Days Of Our Lives' while cooking.

One more - that's my dining window. That's my son's sweet little girl friend's place over that fence through the window.... fence friends... there's even a little stool out there for my little one to be able to see over the fence.... super cute.

Not much I would change in my whole kitchen set up... works a dream.... BUT.... it's nice to scheme up different elements for next time, like this HERE!.. for example. 
Happy Wednesday!
A-M xx

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots of your home.I love looking atyour house it is just a dream and inspires me so much,take care,Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of it stunning and I love all the practical details like the hidden powerpoints, very clever. I'm curious why do those blogs say a sink in an island bench is a no-no, I've always seen sinks in island benches. I think it is very practical. Have a great day.
    Engracia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a fantastic job, I'm struggling to think of anything I would change in your kitchen. I put two sets of hidden powerpoints on our island too, which I plug the rice cooker, blender, food processor, phone chargers in to..Your blinds are gorgeous, they inspired me to choose a fabric blind for our kitchen window. My next time would include a butlers pantry like yours. I tried to squeeze one in but it just wouldn't have worked in this space. I have quite a few things I would do differently, thanks mostly to the lack of attention and time from my kitchen 'designer'. Just another one of those 'go with your instincts' moments (and I didn't). I've long thought that the House That A-M Built didn't suffer from this! Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never get bored seeing photos of your home. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, A-M - your kitchen is so beautiful!!! I loooove it!

    Have a nice day!

    xo
    Anette:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just can't stop looking at your kitchen *shy*
    Are your spotted gum floorboards easy to keep clean or do they show up dust easily?
    Would you ever consider adding a dropped ceiling/bulkhead over your whole kitchen (including the island). I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :)

    Also, any chance of seing the other side of your island? I'm just wondering if it's all shelves or if they are cupboards :)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh A-M I love your beautiful kitchen, but I also know you, and that your next kitchen will be equally spectacular!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous A-M, i would never tire of being in that kitchen.
    Also, where did you get your dining chair covers - they are just what I am looking for.
    bye for now, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi A-M,

    Discoverd this blog a few days ago and LOVE it - read it ALL over one weekend! Your home is gorgeous, what an amazing job you have done but onwards and upwards - your next home will be equally if not more (if possible) beautiful and I am looking forward sharing the journey with you on this blog!

    I am building a home (in Kenmore) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the exterior paint colour of your home, could you let me know what it is please? I would be so grateful as this is the colour I have been dreaming about!

    Thank you in advance and best of luck with your new adventures,
    Tee
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna, didn't consider a bulkhead as I wanted to make the most of the 2.7 ceilings and the light... but yes it would make an interesting feature. Spotted gum floors... as they are not gloss, they hide the dirt unless I have the front door open and the low western sun is blazing in around 4pm... then I get out the vacuum cleaner as you can see some dust! The semi gloss is also great as it does not show any mop marks. Christine, chair comes as a whole, covers included....available through my Cape Cod Store. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tee, it's a Dulux colour match to Porter's Old Stone Wall. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and I are so alike! These shots of your kitchen are stunning and I feel so sad you are leaving it so I can only imagine how you feel. I am so glad to hear and see you have a sink in your island bench.... I did exactly the same thing and mine is a massive double bowl white porcelain sink with Perrin and Rowe tapware. I think exactly the same... it is so easy to clean up and I don't feel like I'm talking to the wall or the windows when I am inevitably washing up or prepping food! I actually did a little extra sink on our side bench as a flower sink!
    Your work is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, just beautiful! Would you let me know the thickness of your benchtop and what it is and also the colour white of your cabinetry. I'm finding all of these pics and comments useful in helping me decide on what I should do with my kitchen. Also would you have considered "bead board' as a backsplash? Is it practical?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi A-M, these shots are just stunning. I would love to just walk through it all. Anyway, you get attached to a house sometimes, and you dont even realise it until you are leaving. Hate that. But hey, maybe in a few months you will be posting about your extra stunning new home????

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's such a delicious space and I can understand the wrench of leaving the stools! And you know what...those rattan trays look like you left them there deliberately anyway...perfect placement even in a panic!! (not that I'm suggesting you were panicking)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi A-M, just received the mag in the post and your porch is on the cover, yeah. Just had a quick flick starting on page 22 and your place looks so amazing. Will have a good look this evening after dinner. Congrats
    Engracia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well you know I have kitchens on the brain at the moment, so this post has been an exercise in detail for me. Although your kitchen is infinitely more gorgeous and fabulous, I'll be trying to incorporate a few of the features into my makeover until I get my 'next time' kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration, and I really look forward to your next masterpiece. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should be cooking dinner but just cleared my mail box and had to sit and read Home Beautiful. You're on the cover! And the pool house is on the subscribers mailing sheet! Well done, A-M. At least you have something to take away with you.

    Jennifer XX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly gorgeous kitchen, obviously well thought out, I've always loved it, what's not to love! It's so obvious you have put so much love into it, and I'm with you on the sink in the island debate, I couldn't life without it in the island! love it! (as as an underbench, I think it's a feature anyways...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just stunning - such a beautiful kitchen and dinette area. And all those lovely French doors with the inviting outside views. You watch "Days of Our Lives" down under? I've watched it since it premiered in 1965. And my mother never watched soaps so I'm not sure how I started. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. *Sigh* I love your kitchen. Well, I love your whole house!! I don't think I'd be able to leave it if it was mine....

    Good luck with the sale.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW. Beautiful home. I just fell across your blog. I travelled down under 20 yrs ago for a year and fell in love with Australia. Where did u get that chandelier from? I love the kitchen and clean look and inspiration found in your home. Beautiful :) Oh and that pool area is to die for: drooooooooool

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your kitchen. Always great to see pics of it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there, I love the cream round table in your kitchen area, it looks a little like the Rose Tarlow table from Somthings Gotta Give? You have created a beautiful home, can't wait for the new installments with your next project!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning!! Every single detail is pure perfection. I absolutely adore your taste in decorating. Our sink is on our bench too and I think it's really practical too. Also love your hidden powerpoints - very clever xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx