Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Abode


Well, we got our place. Phew! A little 4 bedroom, ground floor, 2 story apartment in a wonderfully vibrant community, right by the river, not far from the school. It has 3 bedrooms upstairs - the boys desperately want to bunk in with each other so the third will be their study/chill out room - and the fourth downstairs will be hubby's study. My study will be the kitchen bench or the couch! Requires a total change in mindset (yes you are right Jane, that's all it is).

Our only living space is 4 x 4m. It opens out onto a decent sized covered courtyard, which conveniently has the most perfect spot for Nigel and Brian to sun themselves in real UV rays and not those from a lamp (we've already worked out the angle of the sun). There is even a powerpoint for us to plug their heat rock into.... the real important things. The courtyard opens out onto the pool area and resident's herb garden but as we are the end apartment, we are tucked away..... so the apartment is nice and private.

Straight through the pool area and you're at the river and the one continuous park and bike track that takes you right into the CBD. There's also a soccer field at the end of our street... scooter distance... which the boys are hyperventilating over. Yes, despite our current decent sized back yard, we are always losing balls to neighbours... often 2-3 doors up!

So everything goes into storage (thankfully the new owners have relieved us of about 50% of our furniture), except what we need... oh and a few essential vignettes (life doesn't stop, even with storage)... and yes, I am already thinking vertically (as suggested by 'other Jayne' reader - thank you Jayne!). Oh...and don't laugh... but the baby grand comes with us. We have a piano exam coming up in 2 months time! I'll make it work.... you'll see. My tape measure has had a good work out and my construction maths has come in very handy... especially 'area of odd shapes'.

So to me, this will be like a holiday..... but with all our stuff around us. No housework! The complex is totally brand new and very modern....lots of new residents, moving in when we are. The property managers have already given us a run down on the kids in the complex, including the very lonely little 12 year old girl who goes to the sister school of my boys... big one's eyes lit up as soon as she was mentioned. There are farmers markets every Saturday, on the river bank in front of us, and coffee shops around every corner. I think we'll cope for a while.

Once I received the good news of our application, I had to reassess all my 'essential vs non-essential' packing efforts. I had to seriously unpack and repack the kitchen boxes. I had packed for a 'kitchen in a house' and not an 'apartment kitchen'... my 'kitchen essentials' box is now a box and not 'boxes'. While I was repacking, I was asking myself, "when I open this box, in 18 mths to 2 years time, am I really going to still want this stuff?" Yes, I will need decorative pieces to fill up shelves and bookcases.... but nothing like a move into storage to make you really assess what belongings are really essential in life. William Morris, you were right - "beautiful or useful".... 'or the salvos' (well he didn't say 'or the salvos'... but they're coming around again this week, for another visit and cup of tea, as I have culled further... very liberating).

Right, so 'house is in order'... literally.. every item accounted for and packed (or turfed). Time for us to regroup. We're all very excited about living in our little space. Just as well we love each other to death... we're going to be seeing a lot of each other!
A-M xx
PS. My new laundry is in a cupboard... literally.

34 comments:

  1. Hello A-M

    Thank you for a very nice blog which I found at Karnas Hus. I've been following you for some time, and I just love your style.
    Also I want to wish you good luck with your new projects.

    Kind regards from
    Casa di Caro in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, now you can breathe a sigh of relief that you won't be on a park bench somewhere ;-). I hope this can be a fun time for you until your next exciting project. Can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will cope beautifully! The new abode sounds just perfect and so convenient to everything you need as a family. Well done for being able to "pull it all together" - but hey, I had no doubt you would be able to anyway. Onwards and upwards from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations A-M and family! You must be so relieved to have a brand new place to move in to, not a filthy 'cat haired' house. The new place sounds ideal, and I hope you settle in soon. I'm very much looking forward to your next project!!! I hope you are feeling better too! Best wishes moving...onwards and upwards!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you've secured a place and you all sound excited. It will be like a holiday I'm sure, great family bonding time discovering everything new. And I'm sure you will make this new apt into a beautiful comforty home for your boys. Hope you're having a good weekend.
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fabulous that it is all sorted for you A-M, that is really fantastic news:) As for living in small spaces, we are a family of five and our home is smaller than the apartment you are moving into, you will be fine. Your boys will have so much fun bunking in together:) I hope the move goes well for you! Are you on semester break now? Hope so:) Take care - Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness A-M! I am so glad you found something. To be honest I think it sounds great, OK it might be smaller but sounds like you have many places to explore together so close by, the boys will love it. Remember that home to them isn't all the pretty stuff it's you and their dad, your attitudes, warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news A-M! I can feel the calm, and hear the future echo of "Cape Cod Apartments" calling ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you have found somewhere to call home for a while. I have been reading your blog for over a year and have loved joining you on your adventure. I know its a little nosey, but why did you decide to sell the house? Was it always just a project for you?
    Good luck with the move.
    Regards
    Fleur :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A-M you and I are living somewhat parallel lives.
    Smaller abode, storage, living on top of each other!
    Nothing like a stop gap house to take stock of the important things in life. We've already turfed several large items from storage upon realising 'why did we hold on to this'? and I'm positive more will follow.
    But some items I've not laid eyes on for nearly two years I pine for...books, my mum's noritake dinner set, precious pretties from our travels, yes I ache for them so please hang onto some of these 'must keeps', because you will forever miss these sentimental items.
    The best aspect of living on top of each other is the bond and love that will grow from co-habitating closely. We are two parents with children aged 23 & 20 (do you know kids never leave these days) used to a sprawling agreage property so this stepping stone has yes indeed, been an enormous mindshift but so very worthwhile.
    Your new abode sounds absolutely delicious A-M so soak it in, have an adventure. I can now stop worrying about one of my favourite bloggers being homeless!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like pure serendipity to me - unexpected and lovely [albeit a little bit squishy]. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Serendipity - finding the unexpected and lovely whilst looking for something else....could this be what has happened here? Enjoy your new abode. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely brilliant - I can feel relief coming off your blog in waves. This is a whole new episode in your lives, and a real community too by the sound of things.

    I just hope at some point you get yourself a top-to-toe pedicure, Korean massage, chocolate truffle or whatever form your idea of a true indulgence is!

    (p.s. my laundry is in a cupboard too, and you know what? It gets the job done.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations of finding somewhere to hang your hat! It sounds wonderful. But you know what sounds even better...the sense of relief and looking forward, and even excitement in your 'voice'. It's so lovely to read. I think the four of you will have the best adventure during this interlude! Can't wait to see how you fit it all in...stylishly I'm oh so sure :) Take care and remember to bend your knees, straight back when lifting or even better, when watching others do it!! Although you might look a bit silly bent at the knees in that case!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is a fabulous idea A-M. At least it is new and spotless. The other place you showed us even made me hyperventilate and I didn't have to live in it. How can people live like that, let alone the real estate agent lying to you. Anyway, how exciting, yes Jane is right, just a shift in thinking. Everything at your fingertips and you may also make some fabulous new friends. Love the idea of the herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never had a doubt you'd work it all out, determined girl that you are. It sounds great and probably just what you need! Once you've moved and unpacked I hope to see you with your feet up, blogging away..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks and sounds great!
    I have been wondering how the scaly family members have been after one of them was very sick. Glad to hear they will enjoy their new digs as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you've found somewhere to settle, at least for a while. And if you look at it as being a new adventure, you may even enjoy the change. Now, just to get your health back on track! Somehow I suspect, with the home situation all sorted, you'll soon be on the mend. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm soooo glad you've gone down this route dear A-M. It's a chance to experience something fun & different. We did the same between selling our previous house & buying again, & we had a ball in our shagedelic, pyschedelic pad - so NOT Millie & MOTH!
    M ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I'm so happy for you that you found this neat place to live. Sounds really cool.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. 'beautiful...useful...or the salvos' I like this modern interpretation of the Morris wisdom! You're right, culling is liberating, especially when someone else can benefit from what we no longer really want or need.

    This move and all the ensuing reassessing is like starting over with a blank sheet of page. I think you're going to be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the good news A-M! I am so happy for you that it's all working out now... yes, an apartment is probably a little bit of a challenge, but if anyone can make it work, you can! The area sounds fantastic and a good community can make things so much better.
    :) Flick

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow the herb garden looks amazing! A definite change in mindset but certainly not a bad one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what a treat for a while! It will be such a relief to not have to concentrate on renovating and housework for a while and just focus on enjoying life. We're hoping to do the same next year, once the renovations are done... Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful news, A-M. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi A-M!
    I wonder if it's ok that I'll borrow some pictures from u and show them on my blog? I'll link back here!
    Happy day! xoxox alice

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear A-M, good luck in your new house, it all sounds great, but who are Nigel and ??, should you really be putting your children on a rock in the sun??? We lived for years in a tiny flat - about 850 sq ft - and I loved it because it was easy to keep clean and snug and warm, I still miss it. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  28. It sounds perfectly wonderful! And I'm sure you'll make some great memories there as a family!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful blog!! I found your blog through Karnas Hus blog. I am so inspired! As a navy wife I have for the past 17 years moved every two years or so, packing up my china and everything elas...All of my household goods was stolen in our last move. At 40 I am now starting from scratch and I an constantly looking for inspiration. I found a lot of inspiration at your blog. Thank you for that! Why are you moving? Good luck to you and your family. Kind regards from Sweden, Anneli

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh see A-M I knew that when you were faced with what seemed like a dire situation, you would find exactly what you would need. Isn't it nice to get some advice from your bloggy friends!

    What a gorgeous little space and it will be a lot of fun for the boys. You'll adapt brilliantly I just know it. Have a fabulous week!

    XO, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like a great place in a perfect position. The boys will love it and you are sure to get used to it. Markets and coffee shops so near, sounds good to me
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yay to finding a place!! Sounds like somewhere you can definitely make work for you and your family during this next stage for you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So glad you found somewhere that you are happy with! I'm sure your family will have a wonderful time all cozied up in this space - it will surely make for some great memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx