Tuesday, July 6, 2010

7 Things

Yay, I now have internet access... which is not dial up. Got an ADSL modem thrown at me. The other one is STILL in transit, apparently.


Lou, from 'The Little House That Could' blog, has sent me a 'Sunshine Award' and has asked me to list 7 things about myself. Thank you Lou. I'm with Lou on one of her 7 things - I too can't stand the Brisbane heat, especially after enjoying the lovely cold winter temps down south recently. Even during winter our local attire is singlets and thongs/flip flops to those giggling in the Northern Hemisphere (I felt a bit overdressed, with my scarf, in the supermarket yesterday). Lou is renovating an old Queenslander on the outskirts of Brisbane, while working and mothering. Busy girl. You can visit Lou's darling house bloggy HERE.

Hmmm, 7 things:

1. I have this recurring dream, almost every other night... in some shape or form..... and have had it for at least the past 25 years... that I am going into an end of semester uni exam in a subject in which I did not attend one lecture for and do not know anything about. It vaguely turns out to be something like Geography or something totally unrelated to what I studied at Uni (Biochem/Physiol). I don't know where it comes from. I never failed a subject, came close though, maybe that's it. Or maybe it was the pressure of end of semester exams.....25 years ago!!! I did subjects back in the 80's that had no other assessment other than one 100% end of semester exam. So cruel they were.

2. I played in a bushband (The 'Bullocky's Bathtub Bush Band') for 19 years. Violin. I couldn't count how many times I have played 'Knees Up Mother Brown' or 'Whiskey In The Jar'. We had a regular Friday night gig at Gilhooley's Irish Bar until I refused to play there once I became pregnant with number one son.... back in the days of nightclub smoke..... I couldn't do it to him. We played at lots of school bush dances too. We did Marist Brothers Ashgrove School 16 years in a row!

3. Speaking of babies:  Baby number one came out quiet... he's quiet and pensive. Baby number 2 came out screaming... he still is (ahhh, school holidays!).

4. I proposed to my hubby. Sort of by accident. We were just discussing the daily newspaper headlines, over the phone (he was away on a work trip), and I mentioned that it was the 29th February. He said, "got any questions for me"... the rest, as they say, is history.

5. I did a bungy jump in New Zealand back in my lunatic days....was that me?... I couldn't do it now. Too responsible!!! Ha!

6. I have got perfect pitch. I can tell what note you sneeze on. I can play pretty much anything by ear. Helps when you are a habitual band 'music forgetter'. Pity I have never really explored this talent... doesn't really interest me actually..... just a good party trick when the party gets really really boring (said in a Neal from the 'Young One's' voice).... before the playing cards come out.

7. If the stars had aligned, and I had gotten better marks at school, I would have jumped at the chance to have done medicine. At one stage there, early in our courtship, hubby and I were actually scheming to enrol as post grad med students and do medicine together.... it would have only taken us an extra 4 years. Just didn't have the funds to survive it and no rich, philanthropic relatives to help us out!

Now passing this on will have to wait until I get back out there and find some beautiful new blogs. I haven't blog surfed for ages due to packing and moving house, temporary lack of functioning lungs (which are well on the mend now - thank you to those who have been asking) holidays and lack of internet access.

I'm going to have to ration myself, otherwise I will be on this thing all day, now that I have it back!
Still luxuriating in the school holidays so we're off to the park for a bit of soccer this morning.... oh unless it rains.... looks gloomy out there today.
Have a great day!

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny what you learn about bloggy friends that you'd never expect. I'd never have picked you as a bush band musician! I'd love to know what pitch or note I sneeze in!
    Glad you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi AM

    I think that university exam dream is very common. I have it all the time too. It is weird that it is not about a school test, or a work thing but always university. Mind you in my case it is justified because one year I drank a bottle of champagne the night before my torts exam and was so hungover I had to leave midway through. It haunts me xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these quizzes, you find out so much about a person! And I love how many design bloggers had very different careers in past lives. I went from financial planner, to artist, then designer, so it seems many of us had complete career changes somewhere along the line. Great post, and it's so good to have you back in blogland! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I have a similar dream & have been having it for years, not as regularly as you though ... maybe a few times a year at the very most. My dream is I forget to do an assignment that forms the majority of my assessment (usually science which I was crap at) & the dream leaves me feeling rather anxious inside after I wake up. Hopefully there is someone reading your blog, A-M, who knows how to interpret dreams. I'm tired of this dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm, baby number one came out quiet for me to but he is definetely making up for it! maybe number two will come out screaming and will be a quiet one!! and a sleeper, please.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness I remember the band A-M.
    Now I am racking my brain trying to pinpoint where from. Did you ever perform in Samford at Christmas in the Village or at the school bush dance??
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the weather A-M. I have a wardrobe full of "rug-up" clothes going to waste. It's winter for goodness sake, it's supposed to be cold!
    My year 12 music teacher told me I have perfect pitch. That must be why I cringe whenever an instrument (including voice) is even slightly out of tune. Can be a bit of a curse really.
    Enjoy the park.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think everything happens for a reason and aren't we all lucky you didn't do medicine or we may have never seen you build that beautiful home of yours...and now we get to follow your next journey.
    Love finding out these little snippets from everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a fun post and I still need to do mine... I have to agree that I would never had picked you for a bush band player! Isn't it funny how people develop these images or perceptions of people. Have a fun day in the park with your boys, mine are busy building an ant farm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so nice getting to know you! By the way your blog is looking fabulous if I havent said so alreay, Katrina did a great job. Glad to heare you are back on line minus dial up again (how did we ever survive it!)
    alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne-Marie, YES! We performed at the Samford 'Christmas in the Village' many times and at the school bush dance! Wow, someone who knew of us!! It is a small world! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have that dream/nightmare too, also one that there is an ants nest in the bed! Not every night thank goodness, but frequently enough to make my hubby dread it.
    There is the odd bit of screaming at my place to, but I still think school holidays are easier than the never-ending school runs, lunch boxes and homework.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A-M what a great list of 7 things. The bushband one was a surprise
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to know a little bit more about you.

    I'm not sure of the age difference between us but I may well have gone to one of those Marist dances where you played in the band :)

    BuBbles
    x.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - I have a similar version of that dream too - in my dream I seem to have to resit my finals because I supposedly never actually passed them. Like you I haven't a clue what I am doing. The dream is always frighteningly real! Wish we could all find out what it means!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to hear from you again, A-M!
    Sounds like you had a great vacation on the slopes. And now you are back to your thongs... ha ha ha!!!!
    My kids are on Summer break right now, which will last till end of August. I am a bit busier with then, but enjoying the sunshine a lot! Temperatures here are around 35C, and that is VERY HOT for us!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm, I have this dream too...
    Perfect pitch, how fabulous! I'd love to see you in action at a party! So glad you had a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list, that's a cute story re. your proposal :)

    #1 made me laugh - thankfully I don't have that dream, though I have had that experience. I dropped a subject but left it too late to officially withdraw so I crammed last minute on the off chance of passing. I failed. Big fat D on my transcript.

    I wish I'd done #5. I tried to do the Taupo one, but I was too chicken! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fascinating list! I did my 7 things a little while ago and it amazes me how unique and different everyones are. Maybe your recurring dream means that you have a fear of being out of your depth, like we all do. Somehow I don't think you could ever be out of your depth though my darling! I liked your post about the modular system. I remember seeing something on Foxtel about it and I thought it was a great idea. Particularly for the student lifestyle. Have a lovely weekend. And good luck to big boy with his piano exam, bet he aces it..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx