Friday, October 29, 2010

Jacarandas.... And The Psychological Damage Of It All

My street

On my morning walks, I am noticing that the Jacaranda flowers/leaves are dropping.

Deep breaths - they're only flowers

22 years after my last Uni exam, my heart still beats faster when I see this. Because when the leaves drop, on the Uni calendar, it's exam time. Two events on the Jacaranda/Uni Calendar..... leaves appear, get studying....leaves drop... it's too late...the dreaded swot vac and a painful few weeks of balancing exams and swotting. Blah!

This is the riverbank in front of our apartment - all Jacaranda trees!

Well, I don't know how it is these days, but back in the 80's, there was no continual assessment in the Science faculty. The assessment was just one big, whopper exam at the end of semester, for each subject. It was hell. By the time the Jacarandas had dropped ... it was time to fleece A-M's summaries of her subject summaries... yes I gave them away to all and sundry and suffered a few devastating moments when some of my 'less than studious' science buddies, who never attended lectures and just swotted on my summaries, got a higher grade than me!

Jacarandas on the other side of the river - close to the Uni

I was so relieved to read on a forum somewhere that others suffer that recurring dream... of going into an exam of a subject that you haven't studied for, or have even been to one lecture for. I experience it at least every few weeks or so. Hubby says, "that dream again?"... "yep". I never failed an exam in my 5 years at Uni... came close in the beginning... before I learnt 'exam passing techniques' (that's all Uni is right!) ... maybe that's it.. the coming close? But the dream is always about the last subject I need to get my last degree, the one I need to be able to go out and work.....the last 10 credit points. In my dream, I'm the only one who has to stay the next semester to do one subject in order to graduate.

Every grand home has Jacarandas lining the footpath - it was all the rage... back in the day.

The irony is, that is exactly what happened to my hubby. His situation was cruel... it was one credit point... one! He even pleaded to the Dean of Science.... nope, got no-where and had to sit a whole semester for the last credit point.

Yet I'm the one having the dream.... no nightmare.... it's a nightmare now as it is still going all these years later. What does it all mean? Is anyone out there as mental as me? Oh dear, that's an invitation if ever there was one.
Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I'ts okay I have that very same recurring dream too. Like you when I was at uni it was all 100% end of year exams. I was pretty naughty at uni and stayed up all night before one exam (which I then failed) . I view it as character building. But the dreams I really wish they would go away all those years later xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I distinctly remember by Grade 3 (3!!) teacher telling us that if you haven't started studying by the time the Jacarandas bloom you are done for. Done For! Who tells 7 years olds that?? Gosh, I remember that heart-pounding feeling. I loved uni for so many reasons, but exams were not one of them xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how the change in a season can still evoke different emotions and memories in us.

    Fall this year has really reminded me of when the weather would turn in Korea when I was a teacher there. It meant cranking up the undol heat in our apartments and putting our mattresses on the floor to try and stay warm.

    Fond memories though for sure!

    XO, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love a Jacaranda tree, at someone else's place though, too messy for me! Those nightmares sound tiring!I think I had the opposite approach to exams to you. I had a quick flick through my notes then told myself if I dont know it now, I'll never know it. It all worked out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are magnificent trees, but such a shame they are linked with study and exams. Didn't want any of those flowers falling on my head - kiss of exam failure according to UQ myths. I'm the same - I still have nightmares about sitting an exam for which I didn't study. I don't know why, because I studied (if half-heartedly) for all my exams. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been quite a traumatic time in your life to continually have those dreams. Could it be post traumatic Uni disorder? I think everyone feels sick about exams but once they are over, are quick to leave them behind, forever... It is a shame those beautiful trees remind you of a stressful time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post reminded me of all the little summary books I used to make before exams. I loved them. They were all so neat and tidy, different to the lecture notes.It took me years to be able to throw them out. My recurring dream is about walking down a flight of stairs and falling. I am sure there is deep pychological meaning behind that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder, are the dreams a girl thing?
    My boy's doing his sixth year at UQ and has never mentioned this myth. Must interrogate him re jacarandas.
    I love these trees but gosh they are messy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE jacaranda trees - they are always so pretty lined up along streets. Maybe you are having your recurring dream out of sympathy for your husband's situation :) One credit point!! How unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No exams for me but I have just posted my last 2 assignments for my Masters - woo hoo 15yrs after finishing high school. So I am feeling this pressure hopefully for the last time. what will I do with my time. Obviously absorb myself in the amazing world of blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had dreams about exams, but then I'm one of those freaks who loved them, absolutely loved them. Always did much better on exams than on essays and assignments I had months to work on.
    And having studied down south, I come to the jacaranda blooming without any negativity at all. I can just enjoy the purple loveliness of them

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a carpet of jacarandah flowers. No nightmares here. Every exam I ever sat was completely forgotten as soon as it was over. Some may call it denial...

    ReplyDelete
  13. No they don't do that for me. I always feel excited becos its so pretty and it means Xmas is coming and occasionally they are still in flower on Xmas day. I love them and some suburbs are held in high esteem for their tree lined streets of Jacarandas in WA. Im sad they dont do this for you.Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear A-M, let go of the nightmare and start anew by enjoying the beauty of a jacaranda in full bloom with the carpet of purple flowers underneath (be it just a little messy).

    My husband has always said "is it pure joy flying into Brisbane when the jacarandas are in flower -purple absolutely everywhere"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thought I'd wade in with a bit of dream analysis - you want to ask yourself what am I currently facing in my life that I feel totally underprepared for? Are you tackling something where you worry you'll be judged on the outcome? (I suspect blogging about what you are doing might increase your risk of suffering this recurring dream!) If you can work out what the stress is that's making you feel that way, the dreams are likely to settle down.

    I suspect almost all UQ graduates are far more superstitious about jacarandas than black cats or broken mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must have been feeling underprepared for 22 years as I have been having the dream since I graduated! Interesting analysis! I do enjoy the trees, they are glorious, but there is always that association! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, A-M, me too! I hate that dream. I last was at Uni in 1994 but 16 years later, I still have that horrid dream. Regularly. Or my Mum is sending me back to school as a 40 year old. I still fit in my uniform and no one notices I'm too old. But I know I shouldn't be there. Hmm, disturbing. And thanks for the jacaranda shots - you know how much I adore them! J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A-M.... you need to relax and LET IT GO NOW... it's okay:-) Have a lovely weekend. thanks for sharing...life it busy here and it's lovely to find a minutes to jump on and read your posts. through your blog I have been lead to lots of other house/design/life sharing blogs...thank you one and all!Although not building ourselves my Principal husband is about to embark on the building of his new school so exciting stuff to come there...happy Friday to all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the jacaruda tree post - they are so beatiful. It is a pity they are paired in your brain with exams. What a terrible mix. I don't have those exam dreams, but my husband has them all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx