Friday, October 8, 2010

A Rude Awakening


This beautiful garden belongs to 'Chic', a reader on 'The Decorating Forum'

Nothing like a monster fire alarm at 1am.... for the opportunity to fellowship with our fellow apartment dwellers. We all ended up in the courtyard near the pool, one neighbour amusing us with stories of his mate in the army being able to sleep through anything.. and he worked in artillery. My little one slept through the whole thing.... and it was not a short quiet alarm!!... big one sat up wide eyed in his bed just quietly waiting for all the noise to stop. 


It does seem like ages between when the alarm sounds and when the fire department gets there. I can only imagine the horror the people in real fires would experience during that wait. There was no fire (although I kept swearing I could smell smoke, hubby saying "you know, her nose has saved lives before you know"... bless him). 

After what seemed like an eternity, the alarm finally went off. .... and now, while we sip our morning coffee, we are trying to work out what these roaring monster vents just outside our apartment are meant to be doing. They started up just after the fire alarm. I never knew their purpose was a vent of some sort... I never jumped up to look at the top of them... they just looked like concrete blocks..... as part of the landscaping... must have something to do with the fire, air conditioning vents? What? They're noisy.. and we live here. What's going on? Sounds like the back of a restaurant kitchen with all the motors. Oh dear... when does our lease end again?.....talk about muddling our way through this community living. 

Comedy of errors.....we just got back into bed at 2am last night and then the rain started.. with the dreaded drum, drum, drumming on the tin awning outside our window... we laughed. Ah, this is the life... "ah, the serenity"......you've got to laugh. 
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. You must feel like a deer in headlights this morning... The rain also woke us as I panicked that all windows were shut and rain wasn't belting in... I hope the coffee perks you up to get through the day and I hope you find that next house or land very soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rain was something else, wasn't it? Tin roofs make it sound worse! We woke up this morning to survey the damage, which was fortunately a completely saturated deck. Phew! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh A-M! What a night of adventure! Please give us a hint as too what you're planning next??? I still wonder why you sold house and what you're planning next. The two pictures you added are gorgeous and being an avid gardener, I'm looking out the window wondering where I can fit that 'standard with low hedge' look into my yard. HAve a fabulous Friday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful landscaping, perhaps worth running out to the courtyard at 2 a.m. for!
    Lovely to look at....

    Cheers, Alcira

    thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like a night of interrupted sleep to make you appreciate a full nights sleep. I hope you were wearing your good pjs in the courtyard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you'll miss it when you leave~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the priviledge of visiting that garden regularly( as it belongs to a dear friend) and I always enjoy just being in it becos it is soo lovely!Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, what a night. I reckon my husband, who for many years suffered from the deaf father's syndrome, would easily sleep through a fire alarm.
    That's a very tidy garden . BTY, the standard rose nearest the camera has lost its tie. I'm in gardening mode this morning so notice these things!
    Pamela xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your life is never dull, is it A-M? Up until recently, my hubby would probably have been the fire officer checking on your alarm. And the Moerks are right - you never know when your night attire will be on show.He's seen some rather 'interesting' choices over the years!
    Just think of how much you'll appreciate it when you find your next home - it will make it that much sweeter. Stay calm and carry on A-M. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness it's friday hey? Hope you get a lovely lie in tomorrow morning.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness A-M!! I hope you have a much better night tonight! Lovely garden, WOW! Hope you have a lovely weekend and thank you so much again for your post this week. Hugs ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a terrible night for you all. I can't imagine you feel very lively today.
    I do love Chic's garden. The photos don't do it justice - it really is heavenly:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight! Everyone back home is complaining about the rain - it must be bad. Gone are the days when we were praying for rain to fill the dams...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those flowers are stunning and I wish for a flower loving hubby at my house one day. This of course would also have to be a new husband. Aside from that little laugh for the day I hope you have a sleep in tomorrow(saturday) morning to try and recover.
    Wishing you mush sleep K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats definately a stunning garden!
    You poor thing, I feel your pain, we are on holidays & there is a construction site next to our resort, yesterday we where woken at 7am by an excavator, today another 7am wake up, this time from a 6 tonne macine JACK HAMMERING, so much for sleeping in. Hope you get a better night tonight!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx