Monday, October 4, 2010

Severe Mondayitis


.. oh yeah, we've all got it bad here this morning. First day of Term 4....'the home stretch'.... 90 more packed school lunches until the Christmas holidays! As my boys's school motto states, 'finish hard'.
Ok, yep, we'll try.

Poor big son has been inflicted with the monster of all colds. He never gets sick so it's all very melodramatic here. His biggest concern?... "do you think the lizards will get my cold?.. if they do, that's the end of them"... ahem, what about your respiratory compromised Mum?... with the perpetually tragic lungs? ... if I get it?... still gasping from the last 'atypical'.

So... we're (aka big son) learning how to swallow medicine in tablet form, seeing we qualify for the '12 years and over' demographic now. Oh yeah, more melodramatics.... co-mastication with bananas and/or my/Donna's sensational 'Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins' (recipe below) seems to do the trick. Hubby's impatient "oh don't be ridiculous, just swallow the damn thing" approach was just not working...... heartbreaking in fact.....so we're going through a lot of muffins and bananas... hey whatever works! There are no rules to 'tablet ingestion methodology' I say.

So these muffins... I can't take any of the credit for the recipe... it's Donna Hay's... with a few slight dietetic modifications of my own (can't help myself)...idiot proof... even for 'non bakers' like myself. Hey but my skills are improving exponentially ... see I'm even modifying recipes... if you call substituting full cream milk with skim milk a modification! Practice makes better I say.

Ok, so this Monday thing... it's officially starting now with coffee (brought to me by ever faithful hubby). Bottoms up... if you too are starting the school run this morning... deep breaths :)
Photobucket
Donna Hay's Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins (A-M- ified)

2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder, sifted
1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
1 cup (250ml) milk (I use skim, every calorie and gram of fat counts.. tastes just as good)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups (320g) frozen raspberries
1 cup (175g) roughly chopped white chocolate ( I actually leave this stuff out completely as little one has a peanut allergy.... I suppose making them.... just Raspberry Muffins)
icing (confectioner's) sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350F).
Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and stir until just combined (don't you love recipes like this!... take all ingredients and chuck in a bowl!)
Fold through raspberries and chocolate.
Spoon the mixture into a 12 x1/2 cup capacity (125ml) muffin tin lined with cupcake wrappers.
Cook for 20-25 mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer (or, if your skewer is in a box somewhere in your storage shed, get 'em out when they're golden on top and spring back when poked).
Dust with icing sugar to serve (if ANYONE can wait to put the icing sugar on)
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Makes 12 (or 13!).

18 comments:

  1. The best thing about being an adult is not having to go back to school! And seeing the jacaranda trees and thinking No uni exams for me! Good for you with the baking AM. Isn't it soothing and relaxing and comforting? All that repetititive stirring and measuring is very calming in times of stress. Mr FF is near death with the worst flu ever but has to fly to Nth QLD today for 4 days for work. Nothing worse than a sick man. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to school today for me as well ~ groan.... Son #1 had the same problem swallowing tablets - still does today (and he is 27). I used to dread him getting sick! I found ice cream worked a treat - seemed to make things a bit more slippery for the tablet to slide down. As you say, whatever works. Enjoy your day! ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a great way to start the new school term, poor thing, but I guess those muffins would help ease the pain a bit! Thanks for the recipe, will give them a whirl this afternoon. And I feel your pain...school again..blah! K xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey A-M thanks for sharing the muffin recipe! I'll add this to my collection and bake away myself soon.

    Take good care with the colds floating around the house...if anything your son should be resilient and back on his feet soon enough. And just think...Christmas will be here soon. I can't wait for snow!

    XO, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. My trick for swallowing pills is to take a half-mouthful of water, tilt my head back, drop the pill in, and then swallow. For me it seems to stop the pill from getting stuck on the back of my tongue, and you don't have the bitterness from chewing the pill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meds mashed into jam works a treat.
    Fingers crossed germs are banished!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a gorgeous picture A-M. The boys must have been very young as their bags are almost as big as they are! I hope they have a great term.
    Pamela xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a daughter almost 13 and i can't get her doing the tablet swallow yet! I tell her it's like swallowing peas whole - not her favourite things to eat!
    A-M... take a look at 'windlost.blogspot.com' a blogI stumbled over it and her writing appeals to me like your does...you may like it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mondayitis, tell me about it. 14 weeks no school then back today with the smallest one with a freshly broken arm. I am in serious need of coffee. As for the 12 year old and the tablets, we have just been throught the same thing with no luck so far. Water, banana, icecream ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Thanks for the recipe, will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter had a lot of difficulty swallowing pills too and found it much easier if she ate some bread before swallowing the pills and followed up with water. Not sure if that is what you have tried or not. Hope he is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello A-M - I am sorry to hear about the colds in your family. I hate getting a red nose - not very glamourous! We are counting down the sleeps too as we going home for a big chunk of the Summer holidays. Mr LiC has to mind the Shop so he will be in charge of the girls' turtles. I laughed when I read your and FF's comments about Jacaranda as I feel the same way and it has been more than 20 years for me too. I am off tomorrow to buy the ingredients for your muffins - it will be a nice surprise for my girls after school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As my son and I waited for his 2 sisters to jump in the car this morning I said to him "I've got 120school lunches to make 'til the end of term". He just grunted (he's 16).
    Hope the cold clears up soon and doesn't do the rounds.
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable photo of your boys off to school, these moments always make me feel a bit wistful - new shoes, bags and pencils etc, so sweet but you know homework, tests and trials around the corner!xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. 90 days of making lunchboxes? 90? I don't think I can do it.... My kids were quite happy to go back to school today and catch up with friends. It was me that struggled with the concept of not only lunchboxes, but early morning choir/violin practices, homework, and after school training runs. One week at a time, cLare. One week at a time.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steal yourself for the home run A-M - as I recall that last term sorts the men from the boys (or the Real Mummies from the Yummy Mummies!)
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your inspiration-board. I have been thinking about making one my self. It`s just the lack of space....,and time.. :)

    I just found your blog, and I love it. What a lovely house.
    I`ve always wanted to go to Brisbane. I have been in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, but never Brisbane. Maybe next time.;)
    Greeting from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi A-M, christmas always comes around so quickly, so term 4 will fly. Thanks for the delicious recipie, rasberry muffins in our house today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww I was the worst pill taker on the planet when I was young, so I can relate! Though I have to say that my mom never made yummy muffins to help me swallow a pill. As I recall it involved lots of water and some weird head throw that nearly knocked me off my feet! ;-) Your way is much more civilized...hehe!

    And I've had horrible Mondayitis today as well...now that is something that is extremely contagious!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx