Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Morning


Thought I'd take you on my walk with me this morning (I walk on the weekends... more serene, not as fierce) to see how our suburb is progressing after the floods.


Beautiful Orleigh Park is on the mend. The river went up way over those light posts.
It is still hard to fathom the volume of water that went through this place.


You might want to listen to this, while you walk with me.
The original TOTP 1978 version.
My big boy is learning this on the piano.
Gives me goosebumps hearing him play it.




West End Ferry Terminal and Bus Depot. The damage was so unbelievable.
The water exposed all the old tram tracks (from the 1960's, buried under the road) and completely washed the road away.


The twisted wreckage which was the ferry pontoon.....


.... has been removed. The ferries just cruise past now. No stopping here.


This is where James used to sell the 'Big Issue' for a living. 
The whole terminal was completely submerged and is still full of mud and sludge....


... and the river made it's way up to the second level of those yellow apartments in the background. 
They are deserted now.


Still reminders...


....in every street, people are still hauling out damaged fittings....


.... and stuff...


.... or selling up their riverfront properties.


Still grateful....


... and working out ways to still be in business.

Life goes on.. but it takes time. 

Everything is on the mend though..... including me :)


Speaking of mending... I am off to a personal development workshop today.
Yep, a total PD junkie now... like a reformed smoker I guess. 

It's amazing what I am embracing these days.

Happy Sunday!
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Enjoy your workshop and it's great to see Brissy getting back to normal..xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word for my fellow Aussies 'Resilience' thanks for your photos, I hope you enjoyed your walk:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi AM - thanks for these photos - very reassuring and also so interesting (boo hoo to the media who never follows these things up - I have hardly seen any stories on the flood recovery in the Melbourne media ).

    And Happy Birthday for last week.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi A-M - Looks like a lovely day in Brissy this morning. STILL raining up here - flooded in for the 3rd day. Hopefully will be able to get across the River tomorrow! Gosh, there is still so much work to be done down there after the floods. I'm a bit of a PD junkie myself. It's amazing that even though you think you know yourself pretty well there is always something new to learn. Enjoy the day. ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning A-M
    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday. So nice to see Brisbane getting back on it' s feet, just like you x
    I hope there is some beautiful sunshine to soak up and rejuvenate today.
    B
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is heartening to see progress on the rebuilding of your city. I look forward to visiting in a few weeks.

    I haven't had the nerve to get out and see the worst of my own city. Letting the fantastic rescuers from round the world do the amazing work of helping those less fortunate than myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou for the update....I was only thinking this morning that there hadn't been any news on how QLD was recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tour. We're coming up at Easter, spending our holidays where the money needs spending!! Looking forward to seeing Brisbane (& my husband of course). Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have loved reading books like that in the past. Are you enjoying it. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are on the mend A-M. Enjoy your PD day. Happy Sunday. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating walk around your hood A-M. The degree of loss is so hard to fathom. It makes their resilience even more astounding!

    Speaking of resilience, I admire your methodical approach to facing the challenges life throws at you. You are a wonderful role model for your boys ( and the rest of us ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Jane, A-M. After around the clock coverage, there's pretty much zip on the news about the recovery. Thanks for keeping us up to speed. J x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you are on the mend A-M!

    xx
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was the first book I read after my Father died and I was at my rock bottom. It was the first step to recovery. The Four Agreements, is a good one too. The Power of Now, is awesome and I think you have read that one. I also have read the Tao de Ching which is way older than the bible and fabulous. Truth be know, I am not a reader, but when it comes to ahhh haa moments...I will read it. I order that book about life traps and still waiting for it in the mail. Reading The Happiness Project right now and it has taught me some good pointers on motherhood. I feel like I am searching for Life's instruction manuel hidden through out these books. Like Oprah says, "When you know better, you do better". Love ya, Sista, Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx