Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Your True Voice

Via Pinterest

I received a great article from Zen Habits in my inbox over the weekend. It's all about finding your 'Creative Voice'. It is written for writers, but his ideas can be applied to anyone who creates anything.
It really made me stop and think as I have been struggling with my 'bloggy voice' lately. I know that I have tempered it due to inbox comments.


Leo writes: "Creators of any kind must find their voice. We are writers, musicians, designers, programmers, parents, builders of anything. But we are not truly expressing ourselves, and speaking the truth, until we’ve found our voice: the tone, style, tenor, pitch, personality we use to express ourselves. Our voice is our essence, writ plain for the world to see."

He talks about learning to hear yourself and how his writing voice is really the voice in his head. I'd agree with that for my blog voice. It's me, how I talk to myself and really, it's how I talk out loud too! I can really relate to how he describes the creative writing process as "a rewiring of the synapses, so that your head-thoughts shoot down into your fingertips and come out as typing motions, as bits and pixels". It's an amazing process when you stop and think about it. And here I sit at 5.47am, having my thoughts "shoot down into my fingertips" and out to you in the vastness that is the internet!
I agree that it all boils down to clear thinking. As Leo says, "if your thinking is muddled, your writing will be". He suggests that for good writing you need to remove the noise and that is "a process of subtraction more than addition. Most people end up with too many words, because they never subtract.  After you write, edit and remove the noise". He writes: 
"Most people also have too much noise in their lives to hear their own thinking. Too much is going on around them, and online, and they have no time for solitude. You can’t hear your thoughts, your voice, without solitude. Remove the noise in your life as well."


I think that's what I am up to at the moment...removing the noise, simplifying my life and my thoughts... and through that process, finding my bloggy voice again. As Leo says, "it's not a quest but a constant retuning, as the essence of who you are never changes".





Do you feel that you have a strong bloggy/writing voice or do you, like me at times, struggle to find your voice or temper it at times?


Full article HERE.

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. I read this article as well and thought Leo made some really good points. Funny, as I was reading it - I thought of you A-M! You have your "voice" down pat. When I scroll through Google Reader in the morning - I always know it is you I am reading before I even see your header. Truly yourself and totally individual. ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely lady,

    AM
    Your voice is wonderful.
    We all encounter doubt at many times of our lives.
    I believe it is what you do with that doubt that sets us apart from others.

    Doubt can also be called self analysing by the positive people and then moving forward with appropriate changes.

    From what I have read it sounds like you have doubted yourself too much from RUDE & DEGRADING "wannabe's", sending you emails trying to bring you down.

    "I LOVE YOUR VOICE"! I am constantly enthralled by your blog and your posts.
    Don't doubt yourself ever - you are wonderful.

    I love the 'listen to the inner voice' and 'take out the noise'. Very REAL advice.

    I 'm going to take that advice very well.

    You have an awesome day - because you are awesome!

    x

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-M you have a beautiful voice. I love reading your blog every day.


    Have a wonderful day.

    Love you lots. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a writer I find that I have days where everything flows and days where I can't quite put what I'm feeling or thinking in to words. Fortunately the days when I struggle aren't very frequent, but they are still there. Sometimes, just like in real life, I feel like I should just keep my mouth shut. But like in real life, I tend to blather on and on, even when I have nothing to say! ;-) I love Zen Habits!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning A-M,
    What a lovely post! I can really relate to the part where we need to subtract more than add...when my son was diagnosed over 4 years ago with Autism I needed to simplify my life, right down to the spoken language I used. Our family life has now stayed simplified, out of necessity firsty for our son, but it has taught me to constantly revisit where I'm at. Oh, and I'm putting your first words of this post onto a sticky note for my daughter "Be yourself, everyone else is taken" great words for an almost 14 yr old!
    Thank you A-M, have a lovely Tuesday:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post - something I needed right now.
    thankyou.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi mate, firstly there is a great song by Australian country music singer Melinda Schnieder called "Be yourself everybody else is taken" it is awesome and a favourite of mine. Secondly, yes, we all have lots going on in our lives and at times our true voice cannot be heard. But because you are so creative i would say a few hours alone will do wonders. And as far as blogging is concerned, when i get a mental block i just take a break. For a few days...a few weeks. Whatever. Fear plays a big part too. What are you scared of becoming.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes A-M! I constantly struggle to find my voice. I think my blog helps me to maintain those inner whisperings...when my occupation and my studies ask me to write constantly I feel like it's a chore sometimes. But then I turn on my computer, read what lovely bloggy friends like you have written and I feel re-inspired to share my thoughts with you and others. What a beautiful post friend!

    XO, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have a lovely voice A-M, but that's not the point. There is something to be said for acknowledging our alternate voices - though nobody has said we have to do it in public! I am very fond of my own inner bitch (though I don't expect anyone else to put up with her).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tricia, I love it! The 'alternate voice'! Yes I do embrace my 'inner bitch' from time to time. She comes out with the injustices of the school playground, when I want to defend my boys and fight their battles for them .. "oh Mum, please don't, just leave it be". A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A-M you are right our Inner Voices weather they are creative, bloggy or protective are sometimes the most important.
    I have one that tells me to buy shoes and bags but I am failing to find the one that tells me with authority not to eat that next row of chocolate.....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI A-M - needed this post today - feeling very much like I have lost my blogging mojo at the moment and oh wish it would come back! Enjoyed seeing your pics of the block - heading to Melbourne next week for the gift fair so might try and swing past to see where it all happened. Leanne xx PS. Salted caramel macaroons were delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey A-M. I'm an avid-reader and wanted to thank you for your lovely blog. I love reading what you write. I trust that you will continue to find expression for your inner voice. I'd like to just encourage you to keep being who you are, and don't allow the fear of judgement and negativity from others stifle you. Keep up the good work.

    Best regards
    Shirley

    ps I think that you're a great mom and have a lovely family too xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness A-M this fellow must have been listening to our conversation on Sunday. I think you have a wonderful passionate, vibrant voice. And I love to read it here.
    I think my writing voice is not too dissimilar to my real voice. Although sometimes I am a little more blunt in real life. My internet friends can find this startling and amusing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi A-M I have never commented on your blog before but I have been 'lerking' in the back ground for some time now enjoying all of your posts and I think you have a great voice in fact a very inspirational one thanks for todays post I really needed that perspective. My own 'voice' has taken a bit of a mystery holiday lately. I am most certinly going to turn the noise level down and get my voice on the next plane home. Thanks so much xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx