Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just Give It

Image Courtesy Shutter Sisters

Ok, here's the drum. If you've got something lying around, that's in good nick, that someone else could really use (someone, say who has been homeless.... and now finally has a place to call home..... but has no means to aquire something to sit on to eat their meals) why not contact: GIVIT.....HERE.

'Givit', liaises with lots of nationwide charities to find out what they need for specific individuals and families in need. The charities post people's needs online.... which you can respond to if you can help out. You can also load up descriptions of stuff that you would like to donate into their Virtual Warehouse... so that the charities can contact you. 

No joke, I loaded up bookcases, beds, cabinets, bean bags, homewares, tonnes of stuff at 7:38am yesterday morning and I received my first email from a charity in need at 8:06am. They took the lot. 

They have volunteers who can come and collect if you can't deliver. I have volunteer 'Peter and ute' rocking up to my shed in the next week or so to collect everything. I've been told by the charity that all my stuff is going to those affected by the floods earlier this year. I'm sort of delighted about that... considering that my shed in question almost went under in the floods. It survived to help others not so lucky in the floods. It's all good.

This is how it all works.... if you're either a donor or a charity requiring stuff... HERE.

Reading the Givit List is very sobering. There are a lot of people in need out there.... in our own neighbourhoods. Good time to 'declutter' everyone. The jasmine is in bloom....let's all have a good 'spring clean' and help others while we're at it!

Happy Thursday!
Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Hello AM

    What a great idea.

    I love the concept and feel so much for the people in need.

    I constantly give to charity. I never stop filling bags and dropping off larger items to the stores as I go through my months and give, give, give.

    (I sometimes love a good rummage through a charity shop too, you never know what you may find :)

    Do you know what gets up my nose?
    Some people that think they are giving to charity and give them absolute rubbish. The quality of stuff that just need to go to the bin.
    For what ever reason that people that need handouts may be in all sorts of situations and don't need to be given clothing with holes or faded or full of pill balls etc.

    Well done AM for highlighting such a wonderful concept and I will be sure to use it in the future.

    have a lovely day Miss Angel Wings

    x
    Loulou
    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good idea and I donated a washing machine last year. It is nice to know you are helping someone especially when they are in an unfortunate situation. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, it is such a great idea. Not only are you helping out someone who needs a hand, but you are saving lots of perfectly good stuff from ending up ing landfill. It just makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea, I've never heard of this organisation. I second Lou Lou's comment about rubbish quality left with charity outlets and dumped at bins.
    During moves we always donate to an organisation by the trailer load and the staff fall over themselves thanking us for the pristine quality because half of the stuff they receive needs to be dumped.
    Will definately keep Givit in mind.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh isn't that such a great idea I have just done a huge kull & had a few trips to the Salvation Army but I like the idea that the family's in need get it straight away will go have a look at the web site thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fantastic idea A-M, thanks for sharing that link. I always go through my closet once a season and donate a huge bag full of clothes to charity.

    And when I moved to Australia I opted to donate my entire home contents to a charity called Women in Need rather than keep things in storage. Best idea I ever made!

    Thank you again for such a great post!
    XO,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much A-M. We have been doing a huge renovation and I have loads of stuff to donate to them. We took a whole heap of furniture and electric appliances to the Salvos the other weekend, we came back a couple of hours later to drop off some more only to see people loading it into their trailers, they didn't pay for it, it was on a Sunday so they were stealing it. I will be e-mailing Givit pronto, I really want it to go to people that need it. Thanks again, Cheers Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks A-M -what a great idea.
    you are such a treasure letting us know about these ideas and organisations!
    I am going home onSaturday - at last. Flying with the Dodgy Brothers and a broken elbow, and a fairly useless Mr iT will be fun!
    As soon as I get home, I'm going to get on to GIVIT and get giving.
    Lots of love
    Lou
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-M. Thanks for giving us this information. I have just signed up with them and will consider them next time i do a sort through of stuff. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIVIT would love to hear from you all! We love Giving and you will find out too that it becomes an addiction BUT a good addiction.

    Please contact me at GIVIT - 7 days a week, 24 hours a day with any questions about giving or about out website:-

    www.givit.org.au
    OR
    kate@givit.org.au

    I would love to hear from you!

    Thanks Kate Applegarth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fantastic, better than a garage sale & going to a wondeful cause, well done for your generocity & spreading the word. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely A-M..... You encourage us all with your generosity of spirit. I'm popping over to check it out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic, I have stacks of good stuff and never know where to take it. Thanks for posting about it. Rachaelx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thats fast! What a fab concept.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx