Tuesday, November 22, 2011

'The Art Of Afternoon Tea'

Alexandra's Aunt's 1950's Shelley 'Regal' trio with Triple Choc Cookies!

So I was searching for a nut-free, 'Jam Drops' recipe the other day, when I came across this exquisite blog.... 'The Art Of Afternoon Tea' by Alexandra Nea.

Waterford crystal, Wedgewood and Pink Butter Biscuits.

Don't you just love it when you find talent so amazing it stops you in your tracks. 
I have since devoured her whole blog. 
Literally.

Smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwiches on vintage lace.
Sigh.

Alexandra is an extremely accomplished Fashion Designer who indulges her artistic talents in her spare time. Her beautiful blog was created to share her loves: drawing, baking, family recipes and all her beautiful treasures that she has collected over the years.... china, teacups, linen and lace.

Jam Drops on a Royal Doulton coffee cup, on a vintage cotton napkin, on a Donna Hay green glass cake stand!


Alexandra's jam drops and the recipe from Donna Hay that Alexandra sourced:



Ingredients – makes approx 60
180g butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Donna Hay strawberry jam available at the General Store
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line 3 baking trays. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Add the egg and beat well to combine. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix to form a dough. Roll 2 teaspoons of the mixture at a time into balls. Place on the prepared trays leaving room for the biscuits to spread and flatten slightly. Using your finger press a hole halfway into each ball, fill this with jam. Bake for 10-12min until slightly golden. You may need to rotate your trays in the oven. Remove from the oven and add a little more jam to each biscuit whilst still warm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Today, you might like to take a little break, sip some tea and enjoy the beautiful drawings of Alexandra's afternoon teas. You might find a recipe or two that just needs baking ...sort of.. like.. immediately.

Thank you Alexandra, for the use of your beautiful drawings for this post. They make my blog look so pretty.

Happy Tuesday!

Photobucket
PS. Now I REALLY miss my pretty teacups. They're in a box in the back of the shed.

19 comments:

  1. Now that is some clever drawing there! Beautiful. I might make those jam drops I reckon! Have a good day lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So deliciously pretty - what a gorgeous way to start the day! Enjoy your jam drops. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I could draw beautifully like that !
    Ive been over taken a look , now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those pictures A-M, may need to store that recipe for when I have my new oven! I don't know if I'd be too successful until then. I totally understand your pain of having beautiful things packed away, they'll get out one day soon! Have a great day. x Jode

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made some jam drops and got onto your blog to find that you had written about jam drops! Freaky! How good would that artwork look, framed and hanging in a kitchen or dining room. hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning, What beautiful drawings. I so wish I could draw but I am afraid it's stick figures for me!!. I think it is time to go to the shed and take home your pretty tea cups - at least one. Have a good day AM. Love Nataliexx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So she draws, paints, designs fashion and bakes.....but can she change a tyre? ( just joking) One talented lady. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! What can I bring to tea? I love your quest for new blogs A-M. I don't know how you manage to keep everyone straight. Thinking of you :)

    XO,
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous drawings.
    I love beautiful and whimsical dishware. Started a small collection, but no place to display them. He blog is definitely delicious. Thank you for sharing A-M.
    Hugs
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sudden urge for Iced Vo-Vos, just because they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend Kate got her to do a special drawing for my birthday with quince tarts, ginerjars and roses- I love it!

    AM thanks for your encouragement re my blog. My next project will be twitter! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing those beautiful drawings. Some people are just SO talented.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good fancy morning/ afternoon/ high tea, so much daintiness. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, she is super talented, that's beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love beautifully presented tea! Is there any way you can reach that box in the shed? You should be using those cups now!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comments. Aren't Alexandra's drawings exquisite! I picked up a set of teacup lithographs in Paris this year... 8 of them... very similar style to Alexandras. I think that is why I am so drawn to Alexandra's beauties.

    Hmmm, my teacups? You haven't seen my shed. They are in the back left corner under about 16 boxes... in the 'so not important at the moment' pile'...with rows and rows of lights in front of them... I'd have to rock climb. I'm moving again in February and I am going to reclaim them then!
    A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someone needs to give this lady a Cookbook deal - and fast! Can you just imagine what an exquisite cookbook it would be with all those gorgeous drawings. A real winner! ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx