Saturday, November 19, 2011

Saturday Ponderings



After my blog post each morning, I sit on my deck (and sip decaff coffee now) and read from a lovely book, a daily meditation. I thought I'd share this morning's one with you:

True to Ourselves


"This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou 'canst not then be false to any man. - William Shakespeare.


To thine own self be true. A grounding statement for those of us who get caught up in the storm of needs and feelings of others. Listen to the self. What do we need? Are those needs getting met? What do we feel? What do we need to do to take care of our feelings? What are our feelings telling us about ourselves and the direction we need to go? What do we want to do or say? What are our instincts telling us? Trust them - even if they don't make sense or meet other people's rules and expectations.


Sometimes, the demands of other people and our confused expectations of ourselves - the messages about our responsibilities towards others - can create a tremendous complicated mess. We can convince ourselves that people-pleasing, going against our nature and not being honest, is the kind, honest thing to do!


Not true. Simplify. Back to basics. Let go of the confusion. By honouring and respecting ourselves, we will be true to those around us, even if we displease them momentarily. 


To thine own self be true. Simple words describing a powerful task that can put us back on track.


Today, I will honour, cherish, and love myself. When confused about what to do, I will be true to myself. I will break free of the hold others, and their expectations, have on me".


My little book is: 'The Language Of Letting Go' - Daily Meditations - Melody Beattie.



The boys and I are off for a nice 30 minute bike ride into Dockside this morning.. for a coffee and hot chocolate. They don't know it yet though... ha... they're still sound asleep. Rise and shine boys, let's go!

Happy Saturday!

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Typical me looking at the bedhead. Enjoy your bike ride such a great morning. Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely morning riding your bike A-M.

    Love you lots. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true and I think I have only recently discovered this and started applying it - life is much happier for sure. Enjoy the bike ride with your boys and the yummy reward of hot or maybe iced chocolate after your big bike ride. How is the behind coping? I sure you will be getting used to it by now? Even experienced enough to let go of the handles.... maybe... Enjoy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not hurting too much at all Jenny, which has surprised me. All those spin cycle classes in years gone by might have created some muscle memory! I love not having to pay for exercise now!... that's the biggie! Only took me 44 years to work that one out! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi AM,
    I grew up with this quote. My mum always used to say it to us. . I really love it.
    I'll have to send this to her.
    Have a great day.
    Cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this post (and I was also wondering what that bedhead would look like painted), your words are spot on and I understood everyone of them. Have a lovely weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. #3 of Serge King's 3 Steps to Happiness - "Trust Yourself"! I love your quote as well. Just imagine how different our lives would have been if we had stumbled across these words 20 (or 30!) years ago? Good lessons to pass onto our children. Hope the day is fine down there - looks like it's going to be a scorcher here! ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed to read this A-M, I am doing this with my life (it is confronting at first but needs to be done) Happy riding. Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your Saturday ponderings. I am going to ponder this today. Enjoy your bike ride. I can't wait to get back to Brisbane & ride our bikes along the river. We used to ride from racecourse rd into the city via the bikeway along the river. I am wondering if the bikeway is still there after the floods. KP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks A-M you have hit the nail on the head this morning. I am a born people pleaser, often to the detriment of myself and I am ashamed to say my family. I am going to pin that beautiful image.
    Happy riding and coffee. I hope you can stick with the decaf. I did and now the only caffeine I have is in tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a wonderful book. mine is v well read. xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favourite quotes, and something I try to live by. Some lengthy pondering on the subject of being true to yourself some years back led me to the scary decision to quit my job of 20 years. I've never looked back.

    Hope you enjoyed your ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't beat the bard for excellent quotes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you my darling A-M, what a timely post for me. I've been anxious and doubting whether to go ahead with my project because I worry too much about taking care of everyone and everything around me! This puts it all in perspective. Sometimes, we just need a little reminder. Have you read anything by Victoria Moran? I have three of her books - Living a Charmed Life, Lit from Within and Shelter For the Spirit. The first two offer practical advice for every day, they really are fantastic. The third is for the home. I'm not big on self help books, but these are always close by! Hope you enjoyed the bike ride..Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A pearler of a post, A-M. You know I'm nodding away in Hobart. We're on the same page, my friend. All power to you! J x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx