Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sundays....In Paris


Scoff down that croissant and hurry up, we're off to Versailles this morning!


Thank goodness it is early Spring and an overcast day.
There's no-one here. We have the place to ourselves!


Look they're restoring it.
Isn't it glorious?!



What a magnificent 'Before And After'!


As gold as gold can be!


Let's start in the chapel.....


... and marvel at the vibrant frescos...


... and comment, "this isn't even half as opulent as it was 'back in the day'"....


... or even a quarter as opulent.


Her bed.


His painting.... and throne.


We stumble upon the 'Hall of Mirrors'.


OMG!


Look up!.....


... and don't forget to look outside!



See what you miss if you don't look up?


I mean, seriously!




Let's go outside.


Wow, the grounds go as far as the eye can see!


We wander down to the fountain and look back at the palace.... to take it all in.


We try to take a photo of the whole palace but it's too big.... so we take three.
One....


...two...


....three!


Excusez- moi monsieur, pouvez vous s'il vous plait prendre une photo de l'arriere de ma tete?


Severely gorgeous.

It's Spring!
It's starting to get pretty!



Time for morning tea.
Let's head down to 'La Flottille', the little restaurant down near the Grand Canal. 
Wow, this is a 'cafe au lait'. 
Now, that's what I call a 'white coffee'.


I have always wanted to try a real French 'Croque-Madame'... a Croque-Monsieur with a fried egg on top. When better to dive in?... than when in France! 
Tres delicieux!

Let's stop for a bit, and savour these many calories, before we head off to Marie Antoinette's Estate and the Petit Trianon. I can't wait to see the Queen's Hamlet. I hear they have started restoring it and are allowing the tourists in now!

Happy Sunday!
Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Oh yes please - such a lovely alternative to the ironing, which I'm trying to talk myself into starting! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that was refreshing! a little holiday for the mind~

    Now the croque-madame has made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a perfect way to start the day! thanks A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - I'm shaking my head at the exquisiteness of the palace details because there are nooooo words to describe the breathtaking beauty!

    MORE, MORE, MORE please, A-M!!!!

    Thank you for these glorious pics.....I am inspired to try to do the same next April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* How lovely to be in Paris in my mind on a Sunday morning.

    The reality? Rainy, stormy Melbourne, with porridge for brekky and an RPM class coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine the magnificence In Real Life. Thank you, A-M!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was there in February this year and you are right it's truly breathtaking.
    The food was amazing, we enjoyed lunch at Angelina's inside the Palace grounds. Angelina's is a famous tea room. We shared a 'Mont Blanc' for desert and it was indescribable.
    Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously breathtaking A-M. I am more in love with France and Paris with each post and picture you share. I want to go with you the next time you travel!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    XO,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I've been to France several times, I've never made it to Versailles! Shame on me! Your beautiful photos have inspired me to put it on my "to do" list for my next visit. Plus, it's a great excuse for going back!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Breathtaking A-M, when I was there in April 2009 there was scaffolding aplenty but I couldn't predict the beauteousness! Thank you for the 'after'. We were also a week too early to see the statues unveiled as they are kept under canvas over winter (for protection from the weather). Merci merci merci xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are beautiful. Have you seen the new book that's just been published about Versailles? "Versailles: A Private Invitation". It's by Flammarion and it has the most exquisite images of the chateau's interior design. I always love the Petit Trianon at Versailles. And Marie Antoinette's little village!
    All the best, Janelle
    janellemccullochlibraryofdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, that took me back. It's been years since I've been to Versailles and it was definitely all in the 'before' look. The renovations look pretty spectacular. Photos as memories can evoke such lovely emotions. Thanks for the trip.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those images are so beautiful, it almost makes you want to weep (or to want to go there, very badly!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly Sundays were my least favourite day until I started on this trip with you! A-M is it gold paint or is (as I suspect) gold leaf? The cost of upkeep and running must be enormously enormous but worth it I think for such beauty. Til next Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for transporting me to Paris on a Sunday morning! Happy to visit again anytime to look at those beautiful views! x Jode

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tres maqnifique!

    I was there April 07 and there were restoration works aplenty going on - the Hall of Mirrors was a mess! Cannot wait to go back someday to take it in as it stands now!

    I enjoyed a gorgeous Sunny warm day there, and for lunch I sat by the canal and had a delicious baguette - amazing how something so simple tastes extraordinary in such a wonderful setting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah memories! You would absolutely love a movie I watched last night...midnight in paris - it is just delightful and full of parisan images and history - best movie I have seen in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The calories matter little with all these tourist miles under our belt.

    Loved your glorious pics A-M.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG... getting homesick just by seeing this... lived around the corner of the castle for about 2 years... it's absolutely gorgeous, any time of the year!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Bisous, Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  20. The opulence of it all is tres maqnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder what the designers of those magnificent examples of architecture would think of minamalism? Would love to go back in time and get their oppinion! ha ha!
    x kl

    ReplyDelete
  22. I`ve been to Versaille once and it took my breath away, couldn`t get over how beautiful it was. Next time I want to take the tour to see the secret rooms.
    Great photos.
    :)
    mikky
    www.todaloos.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx