Thursday, December 29, 2011
I'm still not here. Just popping in to let you know that I put my two bobs worth in over at Jennifer's '2011 Great Reads', over at her blog 'The Rambling Renovators'. I was asked to highlight my favourite blog post of 2011. Mine is rather gloomy compared to all the other happy, upbeat posts, as it is the one about Ken and how he lost everything in the floods.... but it was my favourite as it brought about great things and it wasn't all about me for a change. You can find it HERE.
Such a wonderful line up of new blogs too.... a great new reading list!
Ok, I'm outta here. Carry on.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Goodness it's hard not to blog every day. I have so much to say but I am forcing myself to have a break from my blog. Apparently it is supposed to be good for me. I still wake with the birds and not tending to my blog at that time, I find myself ironing and sorting and drinking way too many Nespressos.
So, this isn't really a blog post... I'm not really here ... so carry on with whatever you were doing.
Oh, I will say though, that I am out and about looking at real estate. Hoping to find these bargains that all the experts are saying are out there. Best time to buy, ra, ra. Not inner city I'm afraid. Same/higher prices than the boom 2 years ago. I'm looking for a knock down/removal house so I can build again and I'm also looking for somewhere to live in the meantime as we're being turfed out of here very soon.
Ok, had my fix. Back to my break. One more day I reckon and then I'll be back!
Saturday, December 24, 2011
Just popping in again tonight to wish all my wonderful readers a Happy, Happy Christmas.
Thank you for sticking around and reading my daily waffle. Your emails, comments, tweets, letters and rendezvous in my shed enrich my life. You have helped me through a challenging year just by being there for me. My blog is the reason I wake early. It's a joy in my life. You give so much back.
It's rather wild down here at the beach. All the beaches were closed today.
Our frisbee went everywhere but where it was thrown!
I love this sort of weather. It's beautiful and moody and dramatic.
Although it does remind me a bit of the weather we had after Christmas last year, just before the floods.
Windswept from the beach, I spent the afternoon being 'pool lifeguard'.
I'm taking a few days off from the bloggy.
Will catch up with you all at the end of next week.
Miss you already.
Friday, December 23, 2011
- When you love the work you do and the people you do it with, you matter.
- When you are so gracious and generous and aware that you think of other people before yourself, you matter.
- When you leave the world a better place than you found it, you matter.
- When you continue to raise the bar on what you do and how you do it, you matter.
- When you teach and forgive and teach more before you rush to judge and demean, you matter.
- When you touch the people in your life through your actions (and your words), you matter.
- When kids grow up wanting to be you, you matter.
- When you see the world as it is, but insist on making it more like it could be, you matter.
- When you inspire a Nobel prize winner or a slum dweller, you matter.
- When the room brightens when you walk in, you matter.
- And when the legacy you leave behind lasts for hours, days or a lifetime, you matter.
Aren't holidays great? They take you out of your life and give you time to think, reflect, plan.... and get stuck into that old hindsight! I have a lot of inspirational posts from wonderful positive blogs coming into my inbox each day. Seth Godin's blog is the bomb. His every word moves me and motivates me. He is truly changing the world. His words above have been a great comfort to me this year.
The 'You Matter' concept has been beautifully explored by another one of my favourite bloggers. Angela Maiers did a great TED presentation on the concept HERE and has followed it up with some great motivating blog posts, such as her '12 Steps' one HERE. Watch the video at the end of Angela's 12 Steps post. Those young girls are inspirational.
Every single person you meet on your journey in life wants to know that they matter.
It's a busy time of the year. Beyond the presents, the food, the decorating, the expectations..... you matter. You might just make someone's day if you tell them that they matter too.
Happy Friday! I am off to wake up my sleepy boys for an early morning frolic on the beach... before the sun gets too ferocious! I am going to make sure that they know that they matter to me too!
Thursday, December 22, 2011
1. It is way too hot to run on the beach at 7am. Way. Too. Hot. Distressing almost.
Don't let the beauty fool you.
2. Beach folk take their fitness very seriously. Sorry madame, I snuck in a photo without your permission. There are rowing machines, stationary exercise bikes and even elliptical machines dotted throughout the parks. The shady park paths are the 7am beach running alternative. Way cooler.
Impressive. I am surprised they haven't been fleeced.
3. One has to search high and low for a gable.
4. If you search for them, you can still find darling little beach shacks....
..... that are worth squillions of dollars now.
Oh, the fifties!
4. Beach folk take their beach-themed decorating very seriously.
Check out this glass lamp base full of coral!
Have to put in a plug for 'Natural Living' at Oasis, Broadbeach.
Debbie, who runs the place, is the most gorgeous person.
Instant new best friend.
5. Beach folk seriously embrace colour....
... and silky things...
... and leopard print...
... and sparkly things.
Speaking of sparkly things, we have our little Christmas tree down here with us... with like 4 decorations we grabbed off the big tree at home as we ran out the door. It does the trick. It's fibre optic so it is good value for maximum sparkle at night and it keeps us all mesmerised.
Happy Thursday! My little one is counting down the sleeps now.