Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Guy In The Glass


The Guy in the Glass
by Dale Wimbrow, (c) 1934

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf*,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.



*pelf \PELF\ , noun:
Money; riches; gain; -- generally conveying the idea of something ill-gotten.
. . .a master manipulator who will twist and dodge around the clock to keep the privileges of power and pelf.
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. This is true. I took this lesson away with me from my time on The Block...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. No matter what you do, you have to be able to sleep easy and feel comfy with who you are.
    When it comes down to it, you're the only one you have to please and that's all that really maters.
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true A-M and so eloquently put!

    Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true are those words and to think it was written in 1934! Life lessons for life I say. ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog the way it is don't pay any mind to those people . we enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very well done A-M. Exactly what the troll/s needed to read. It often comes as a big smack in the head when people like that finally realise that their own lives really are miserable. Geez, it must be awful to be full of jealousy and self doubt, that one feels the need to lash out at others. Especially in a cowardly anonymous way.
    You came out on top A-M.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true. I love it. It doesn't matter what you have in your life or who you have impressed along the way, if you can't look in the mirror and see a good, honest person looking back. Something I try and teach my kids constantly - don't think they get it yet - but they will - one day.
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi A-M,
    First, I wish you and your boys a healthy and happy 2012! I just read the posts I have missed (we came back from Amsterdam) and I was amazed at the nasty comment you got...
    I think you handled this great, honest and like one of your readers wrote, I too don't have to know your whole life story. Just being you is enough for me, I love to read what life is like in Oz (my first country on my travel list, I hope I can soon walk around there), I love that you are positive, even though life isn't always going as planned, I love that you inspire me, just the way you are.
    Keep up the lovely words, and all the best packing (and believe me, I know how that feels, this is house nr. 7 we are in now...) and now it's time for me to get some sleep,
    virtual hugs, from me to you,
    Maureen xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx