Sunday, April 8, 2012

Afternoon House Ponderings


Hello! Happy Easter! I hope you are having a relaxing holiday weekend. 

I am sitting drooling over house plans this afternoon....enjoying all the emails you have sent me, with pictures and suggestions of what I should do. Thank you!

Well, this is it. This is my block. The 20m frontage faces north.


I am looking for porch and gable inspiration. I plan to have an L-shaped porch, embracing both frontages, and a feature gable on each street elevation.....with double hung windows and eave returns on each gable (if I'm allowed....depends on who will be interpreting my plans according to the Brisbane City Plan).

I love the 2 feature gables in this one... with the 4 double hung windows in between. I am going to have to have eaves over my gables.... in keeping with the Brisbane City Character Code.


Here it is, drawn. No curves on my porch though... all square.


Here's the 2 feature gable idea... one for each street elevation.
Deeper eaves in this one...more chance of passing the code.


I'm so excited about having a flat block... so I can create a porch with just a few steps up to it.


Should my gables have separate windows, like this, or a set of two double hungs?


Here's a beauty Dianne sent me. Perfect for a 40 x 20! Maybe mirror imaged?
I only have a total height of 8.5m to work with.... so mucking around with roof pitch is where I am going to start.... then I will work the floor plan around the roof.


Oh to have greater than 8.5m height!

Yes, all that said, I have to abide by the 'Residential Character Code' set out in the Brisbane City Plan:


Part 5 is all about the roof form. Unfortunately, the pre-1946 roof forms in the area do not have gables. It will be interesting to see what I can have approved wrt roof form, according to the code. Dare I mention the dreaded box with skillion roof?.... yes there's one down the street. Surely if that can pass, then my pretty gables will get through. Both homes on either side of my block are pre 1946. I checked on the 1946 aerial photograph. I'm pleased about that. It means my home will fit in nicely and not stick out like a sore thumb.... like the box with the skillion!


Part 4 should be a cinch.


Or I could just do the total symmetry thing?
Delicious things to ponder over an Easter Sunday afternoon.

Have a lovely evening. See you tomorrow....... I have a lovely nook to share with you.
Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. I definitely think a gable onto both street frontages, as much as I like that last photo, a corner block it too good an opportunity to pass up! Good luck with the BCC City Plan, your gables should be fine. Unfortunately for you the 8.5m height is fairly restrictive- you can always apply to Council to exceed the height but that would require a planning application and you'd usually be hard pressed to get that approved in a lot of places...all depends on the design really. Have fun designing- can't wait see what you come up with this time! happy Easter to you and the boys. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes glaze over reading plans and codes. I'm happier to gut a bathroom, rip up carpet, sand woodwork and wield a paintbrush!
    Whatever design you build will be brilliant A-Me.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most fun you can have in the world! do you sketch your idea, or use the computer and Sketch-Up or such, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the opportunity to put gables on both street frontages is too good to pass up. I too just spent my morning reading that section of the code trying to determine if we need approvals for our renovation. We have a sloping block and only need to lift to about 8 metres to get 2.7m ceilings downstairs but we are demolishing a post war extension and opening up a pre war front deck. I am looking forward to seeing your ideas come to life and hoping that the BCC don't give you too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh A-M, my eyes are glazing over, just like Annie's! I love seeing how your mind works. This build will be such an education for me! J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis is so exciting A-M.. Can't wait to see your plans take shape... Happy Easter... xv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful houses. Where abouts do you get your floor plans from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful houses where do you get your floor plans from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sam, elevation inspiration from websites/blogs.... floor plans are from in my head. I know how I want to live in the house so I create a floor plan according to how I would live in the space. Always, I put living on the ground floor and sleeping upstairs. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting it all is. Is BCC good about approving developments? Do they take forever like some councils I know!!!! I rather fancy that whatever you come up with will be an asset to the street and beautiful to live in. Do you have any time estimates yet or is it too soon. I really look forward to this adventure with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea of a feature gable on each street. I will vote for two double windows in each gable rather than separate (with four double hung in between), loving that look. Exciting decisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This will be great to watch. I'm sure the end results will be amazing. Decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Double gable def. Love the one in pic 4 with the (born for bubbles) balcony. No to sep windows - love the double hung. Symmetry ... don't fuss about it - go for personality! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a question I have been looking at the websites where you got the images from and I can't figure out how to convert the size. My house now is about 41 squares. How do I convert the American square footage into squares?

    ReplyDelete
  15. SamR,
    1 square foot = 0.09290304 square metres.
    A 'square' is traditionally 10 foot x 10 foot, (3.048m x 3.048m). 3.048m squared is 9.29 square metres, so to divide square metres into (traditional) squares, divide by 9.29. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heap A-M. I cant wait to see what design you come up with for your house and all the excitement along the way :-)

      Delete
  16. Those are lovely. Is your house going to be that big, though? Almost all of those seem really huge for three or even four people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no Fiona, it won't be that big! I am just getting ideas for the front elevations. 4 bed, study, 2.5 bath etc. Hopefully smaller than 'The House'. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am really drawn to the 2 gable thing and the wrap around porch so I think that's where I will be heading. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. They're all beautiful, A-M. I have nothing to offer, as it's totally not my area of expertise ...being a modern house-owner and all. ;) But I'm dying to see what you come up with.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dragging my feet here so thought I would put my two bobs worth in.

    I wouldn't go with the separate windows, I'd go with the set of two double hung. Looking at the pictures you've posted, I feel the separate windows could look dated in years to come.

    I've also caught up on today's post with your Monday Nook...are you nervous with going with all the beautiful architectural detail or have you lined someone up that loves and understands this look as much as you do?? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just curious that's all and if it were me I would definately put as much architectural detail in as possible!

    Hope you're having a great Monday.

    Take care
    Janine
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your feedback all. I will take your advice and stick with the 2 double hung windows in the gables. Janine, I am going to put everything out to tender once I am ready with my plans. Those suppliers I recommended from my last build received a LOT of business from me and my house project publicity.. so I am hoping that those who wish to be involved this time will sharpen their pencils for me! I received over 400 emails alone just asking for my architect and builder's details. I know my cabinetry people did very well out of the Home Beautiful article. They eventually just stopped sending me 'scratchies' in return for kitchen business.... as they got so much business they lost interest in thanking me. I do have a couple of builders interested in my next project.... but once I have my plans, tender it will be.
    A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you have everything under control!!! Over 400 (!!) emails A-M, I find that hard to get my head around.

    Good for you. Whom ever the builder will eventually be, he will be a trail blazer, details, details, details hopefully will take off here in Aussie. Must say, 'bout time!

    Don't think I could live in a house without skirting boards and cornices, but as always a very personal choice!

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter.

    Take care
    Janine
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  23. AM why are you so enthralled with and wanting to bring these faux Cape Cod US McMansion designs to Australia? They are so déclassé. Your true bogan is coming through! Why not work with an energetic, smart, young (or older!) Brisbane architect to design and build something that fits its surrounds, respects the environment and isn't so, well, ick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anon person hiding behind fake ID, I happen to like what I like. You obviously don't so why are you here. Run along. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx