Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Holiday Waffle

See them? ... climbing?

We're not going away these school holidays.... but we have heaps planned.

Both lads have piano exams next term so they are getting up to scratch these holidays.... so that there isn't that last minute panic before the exams. Oh, it does get better!... they're going to wait in the shed while their Mum works ..... ha... no, we do plan to do some exciting things. 

We have sleep overs at friend's places and catch ups with family planned, including a few days down at Gran's climbing more trees and wallowing in the dam shallows looking for lifeforms. 

We're going to hunt down the elusive Bill (where are you Bill?) and hang out at Justine's.

See him? ... waiting? 
Look Olivia, still scoffing your chocolates!

We're also going to try some new recipes. We have the recipe books out ready for attack. Both of my boys are going to leave home with the skills to cook at least 15+ decent meals each.. staple recipes that they can repeat over and over whilst at Uni and while bachelor-padding.. recipes that will ensure  health... and not scurvy or atheroschlerosis. Last night's lesson was in how to cook a creamy seafood pasta dish without cream... it was delicious... overdid the garlic and eschallots a bit...but hey, they were in charge... and I got to sit on the couch and bark orders. I had my back to them so I didn't stress about the mess! 

Do your kiddies have meals that they love to cook? We're up to scratch on Spag Bol, a few slow cooker meals with lamb/chicken, chicken and vege stir-fry, chicken in filo, chicken parmigana (hmmm, lots of chicken) and our favourite... spinach and ricotta cannelloni... or as my little one used to say, 'tannatannelloni'.

Ha, big son just came down and announced that he would do the ironing for me today. At least one daughter-in-law is going to love me..... the little one?... he's another story...still asleep.... and always absent when there are jobs to be done!

We're off to the shed again this morning and then on the bikes this afternoon to compensate. At least I 'compensate'. Back in 'the day', I spent my holidays in a piano practice room at the Uni, where my Mum was a lecturer. There were no Nintendos back then or anything really interesting to do. You'd think I would have mastered my drawing skills... or become a maestro on the piano... but no. 

Oh and before I go, pop on over to 'Habitually Chic' blog today. Heather has featured Gwyneth Paltrow's new digs... 'The House Of Windsor'. Take a deep breath before you go! It's heavenly. HERE.

Happy Tuesday!

Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. Ooo I saw Gwynny's house! Divine. Oh to have that kind of money. Can't wait to see you Friday! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! .. and cousin M is beside herself and already packed! xx

      Delete
  2. Poor ole Gwynny...how ever will she manage? :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be pretty amazing having anything your heart so desires... walking in to that place and saying, 'yeah, I'll have this'.... mind blowing. xx

      Delete
  3. I swore I wouldn't bring up any useless men either, A-M. My lot can all cook, clean, wash and iron - they may not be champions at it, but at least I know they'll survive on their own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, it's the cleaning I have to work on. xx

      Delete
  4. You are helping those boys become beautiful well rounded men that will be an asset to our society. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys all have one night a week to cook, we start out simple with things like hamburgers and spag bol, tacos etc, the older ones can cook satay chicken - from scratch with gado gado salad, roasts and gravy from scratch, gluten free pizza dough, chicken biryani, curries, quiches and tarts including homemade pastry. My 10 year old is just starting to take over from his 17 year old brother one night a week as older one has been working until 6pm for the last few weeks. My kids can also the wash clothes and the clean house, mow lawns and fix things. I want them to leave home with skills they will need for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made my boys read your comment. You have inspired them! Little one has just requested a pizza dough session! A-M xx

      Delete
    2. Deanne, this is brilliant. My boy is only four and we cook together. He knows how to operate the washer and dryer and as he gets older I will be following your lead.

      Delete
  6. Oh A-M, thank you for the link to Gwyneth's new home... could it be any more gorgeous? My heart raced at every photo.
    And, she has a Tribeca penthouse and a home in Notting Hill.

    x
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, homes in great spots! Sigh! xx

      Delete
  7. My 6 year old boy cooks dinner on Monday nights - usually chicken schnitzel - he's a mean hand with the egg and breadcrumbs! and my 8 year old girl cooks divine risotto and is great with any sort of dough also (bread, pizza and pasta). I love that they know how to cook from scratch. I was thinking the other day about Bill and if you've managed to track him down. hope all is ok with him. hope to meet you on Saturday and Blogopolis.
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6 years old! son, come and read this! We will meet. I will track you down!
      xx

      Delete
  8. 'Too much garlic' - don't know that concept!

    Great to teach your boys to cook - I taught scouts for their cooking badge in another life and we all had a whale of a time, things like duck and orange salad, and hollandaise sauce as well as the official (and very dated) jam roly-poly and spotted dick on the scout curriculum - hadn't changed since Baden-Powell's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it must have been the same cookbook for Girl Guides. I remember making Spotted Dick and Jam Roly-Poly in GG in the 70's! xx

      Delete
  9. Good for you teaching your boys to cook. I am always confused when parents don't want to teach their kids basic life skills. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B is doing Pad Thai (Bill's Food) tonight and K is doing a chicken pasta bake from Donna Hay's kids party book tomorrow night. It's all happening! xx

      Delete
  10. Love the building Gwyneth has purchased and many rooms are beautifully decorated but I think she should fly you over to redo the 'over the top' ones.
    Last night K cooked pad Thai because I was playing with my new toy..iPad! I think she had given up waiting so got stuck in and it was delish. Both my kids know how to cook etc and right this minute K is cleaning and rearranging her room. Basic life skills are not difficult to teach our children.
    Gloomy day isn't it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so with you on boys knowing how to cook, I am determined my two with knowing how to as well by the time they are teenagers. They both help me at this stage, yet to do a meal from start to finish. I also will teach them to clean, wash and iron clothes, even sew a button on - so important to know how to do these things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha you are so funny - one happy DIL - I get it! I wish my MIL encouraged more ironing!!! I'm sure your kids love life, a lot like you! ;)

    And I'll pop over to HC, I love her blog, isn't it getting better and better every month!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. To be self sufficient is a wonderful lesson to teach your boys and yes later in life your DIL's will love you for it I promise!!!
    GP's house is just beautiful I would be happy with the entrance bit only!
    Katrina would love the study I imagine but the media room is too, too busy! But hey I could still live with that if I had the rest!
    Looking forward to Saturday xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your boys are going to be great husbands some day! I love that you are teaching them to cook - it's an important life skill (for boys and girls) and is often overlooked. Three cheers for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant A-M!! Yes, your future daughter-in-laws should be VERY grateful - your boys will make wonderful husbands one day!! How great to have some meals up their sleeves and the ironing? What a good son :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have juice for dear Bill when he turns up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx