Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blogopolis

Twinings sponsored the event so we drank out of pretty teacups and used spoons that went missing in great numbers by the end. #spoongate
Yep, blurry.. I was talking.

By far the most exciting thing about attending a nation wide blog conference, for me, is meeting your fellow bloggers.... ones who have been commenting on your blog from day dot, ones who have seen you through tough times in your life, having never even met you. It's amazing meeting your 'friends' for the first time, having shared so much with them.... for years!!!! I smiled a lot yesterday.


I have to make special mention of the girls, from 'Something Gorgeous', and Lou, from 'Louwink', Fiona, from 'Lilyfield Life', and darling Jules, from 'One Pink Chair' who sat at my table with me and Katrina and my gorgeous cousin Marina, from 'Alexandria Emporium'. We were pretty chuffed with our table and giggled like school girls. I have a severe headache this morning, from giggling? from excitement? from talking my lungs out?... or it could be the red wine I drank with 'the food bloggers' last night... but that's the next paragraph or so!


I attended Katrina's cracking session on Blog Design (but of course!)... and took notes for her, for the Wordpress Blog she is designing for me... just in case she forgets her own stuff. Katrina will be summarising her session on her bloggy I'm sure.




She spoke so well.... and knows so much... and I am not ashamed to say I am her biggest fan.... even though she keeps telling me to put a lid on it! I think she was scared I was going to sit in the front row and embarrass her! I didn't. I behaved.

I tried to be all creative and took photos of the ceiling with my iphone. 

I also attended a wonderful session on blog photography... which made me realise that my tragic photos  via my iphone... well ... are ... tragic. I could do so much better, even with the iphone and no 'big lettered' named camera.


Lunch was seriously good. I ate for two. You never know when your next meal will be.....
....although I did know I was going out for dinner... but momentarily forgot.

Yep, looks like all we did was eat our way through the day. True. The table descended into 'half eaten cake, empty creme brulee cup chaos'.

Some of the missing spoons were found hiding in vats of cream, used for the scones 6 hours prior. #spoongate

Someone out there will be conscientiously writing up notes on all the conference sessions. As I find them I will add them to this post, as links down the bottom ... how's that? I was lazy. I didn't really take many notes... I just soaked it all in.

The day highlight was heading off to 'Pony' in 'The Rocks' with the foodie bloggers and savouring the most delicious tapas I have had (big statement but true). I even met another 'Ex-Dietitian' like myself...much excitement.... one who has moved from Dietetics... to blogging about food, interiors and 'lovely things'. I am not the only Dietitian who 'crossed over'! A special thank you to Catherine Saxelby from 'FoodWatch' ('Australia's Leading Dietitian'), Natalie, from 'Eat Read Love' (gorgeous blog!.. head over... pronto... well, after I finish here) and Hannah, recently graduated Dietitan (@hancgilbert on twitter... we're talking her into a blog).... for inviting me to your soiree! We were loud and very appreciative of the morsels that passed out lips. It was a true gastronomical experience......every bite, 'a taste sensation'.

I have a headache.

Happy Sunday!

Photobucket
Katrina's Blog Design Tips: HERE
Tina Gray, on SEO and Analytics HERE
Tina Gray, on Idea Sourcing HERE
Great post from Retro Mummy! She paid attention and took notes: HERE

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day ;) Ain't it great to meet up with fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is! ... and thank you for the link D. A-M xx

      Delete
  2. Was really great to meet you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Mrs Woog. It was a cracking day! A-M xx

      Delete
  3. wasn't it great! the food was so lovely and I must admit it's all about the familiar faces and new faces at blog conferences and feeling part of a community!

    so glad I got to say hi to you
    Corrie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful. Great to see you again, you busy girl! Yes. the community is what it is all about. A-M xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your lovely words. You have made me laugh! I was telling Andrew all about your fan-antics! HAHA! Loved being there with all of you yesterday! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I reckon I'm a good fan. I could be your agent! A-M xx

      Delete
    2. maybe you should be a blog agent?????

      Delete
  5. Oh poop sorry to have missed you, but now know where you where sitting, as I thought One Pink Chair's summing up of the day was fabulous. I was the one in the red coat who held on to the Royal Albert until the death nell.

    I'm new to your blog ( a month or so) and love your musings.

    Loved your summary of the day and will be posting mine tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this is the bad bit... when people you could have met, come out of the woodwork. I saw your coat! Will head on over to your summary tomorrow! Thanks for coming by here! A-M xx

      Delete
  6. Hi AM

    This sounds fun. I'd love to meet the people who read my waffle!! Maybe next year I will go too! I take the worst photos on my blog and break every rule for blogs- too many photos, no theme, etc etc but for some reason, people read. Go Figure! See you next week for your au revoir party x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi A-M

    Long time reader but first time commenter. Just wanted to say, after reading your glowing review, that you'll be pleased to know Pony will be opening at Eagle Street Pier sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I went on a virtual conference yesterday - just by following all your tweets and IG (until it went down of course). And I don't even have a blog (yet). Feel like a sponge, just learning sooooo much from you bloggers! A-M I so admire your blog and what really makes it is not just your style (which I love), but your real personality that you put into it. thanks for sharing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of fun had by all yesterday. :). So much to learn and take in. If I remember half of it, I'll be thrilled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was there yesterday too. It was fantastic to be in a room with such inspiring people. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful day, a magic table, superb speaker, and I learnt to Tweet who can ask for anything more!!!!!!!
    Thank you A-M for it all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this looked like so much fun, so sorry to have missed it! :( I am so going next year!!! Glad you all had a ball! :) (I had to work!) Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi A-M,

    Beautiful summary of the day and thanks for the mention of my blog. So glad you had a beautiful evening with Catherine; I know you were looking forward to it. Pony too - mmmm!

    Was a day I won't forget in a hurry, meeting so many inspirational bloggers and learning so much. As Kimba said, if we can remember half of it we'll be doing well.

    You and Katrina are going to have such a ball in NYC - enjoy the countdown to the trip and most of all the trip itself.

    As you know I'll be drinking tea for a while to come.

    Louxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can just imagine the fantastic time you had A-M... I would loved to have been there... it so fantastic when you live in the world of the internet to actually have some real time with real people... Glad you had fun... xv
    P.S... You will love Wordpress once it's up and running...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fantastic day A-M - the food looks even better blown up on your blog :) I didn't realize Katrina was doing Wordpress again. I need someone to teach me more about how to use my own site lol :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds incredible! Wish I could have been there!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a great time you must have had AM it looked like so much fun, boy I could have done with going there I bet I would have learned heaps. My sister has wordpress she thinks its the way to go I bet you cannot wait for Katrina to finish it for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. God A-M, if I knew there was going to be so much food I would have booked.
    Roll on next year I'm coming. Hope the girls aren't put out with a guy at the table !, (looks all very "girly").
    But I am sure I will cope,
    thanks for a great blog post, I will have to check out all the tips from Karina and fellow bloggers.
    Warm wishes,
    Daryl
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear A-M thanks for the lovely mention in the post. Great write up on Blogopolis - I too loved the conference and dinner at PONY was a great way to end a fabulous day. All those little tasting plates were divine! Appreciate your support and link to my page. Hope to see you again soon. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a fantastic time learning more about the craft that you love and are so passionate about. With all those like-minded people in the room I predict your creativity will reach new heights. I will sit by and continue to enjoy and learn from your blog!

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, I'm so jealous - I wonder if K is coming to melb, wouldn't that be awesome - I'd be there in a heartbeat! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx