Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Simple Rhythm



I find the more complicated the world gets, the more I seek out simplicity in all that I do. I was reading something somewhere last night about how smartphones have killed the creativity of boredom. Do you think that is the case? Are we at a stage now where we can't be still without being stimulated/occupied 24/7? Remember the days of staring at the walls in a waiting room, your mind wandering, creating?

I don't know whether it is just because I am getting older and more comfortable in my own skin, but I seek out simpler routines, simpler methodologies to all that I do in my day these days. The busier the world gets, the more effort I put into making mine less busy and more productive. I feel that it gives me the opportunity to live in the moment/task more and experience more gratitude for the little things, for each and every moment. The days are short. I feel the need to slow them down and savour them more.



My day starts simply when I get up with the sun, detach from the world, even my thoughts for a while, and run into the day. I work in a business that is uncomplicated, with limited overheads, a manageable product range with simple operational procedures. I can work pretty much from anywhere and I get to connect with happy, creative people.


My home is now simple, uncluttered, pared down, tidy, easy to clean and manage.
My wardrobe is manageable and consists of only what fits and what I love to wear. Our meals are fresh, uncomplicated, unprocessed. The TV is off most nights so we connect as a family.. and when it's not, we watch our favourite box sets of shows we are working our way through together. Our daily routine is simple.....and we all know our jobs, what needs to be done. Sometimes I shout from the kitchen at the end of the day, "aren't we a great team?!" I stop to savour and be grateful more these days.

Maybe because my life has been so complicated in the past, I am just revelling in normality! in peace! in contentment? in gratitude? Maybe things will change when I start building my next house? Maybe I am older and wiser and will be able to be 'in the world but not of it' when I'm standing on my next building site. Maybe busy New York put 'it' all in to perspective?

Maybe Einstein was on to something?  "I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind". Albert Einstein ...

"Let your mind wander in simplicity" ~Chuang-tzu

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Buddha

Do you seek out simplicity in your life? Have you been looking for ways to un-complicate your life and savour each moment more? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I'm always stripping back, and back, wanting to get to the essence of things, and in a way technology is a tremendous help because information is at our fingertips. I never have to settle for what's available by way of images or music or poetry because I can seek out what interests me on Spotify or Google images. One of my cardinal rules is never to watch or read anything which has ads (goodbye television! goodbye magazines!). We watch chosen programs streaming - no zombie movies. Plenty of time to garden, write and sew (of course I don't have children to care for, that gives me more time! I miss them though, their originality and sweetness.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed today. I said "Cruise come and look at A-M's blog... we're chucking stuff out these holidays." He's pumped! I need to clear some clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're onto a good thing A-M. I have been dreaming of a simpler life and am still working on my goal of having no clutter in my home or studio by the end of the year. I'm getting there slowly! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revel in the simplicity, as when you start building it will get hectic! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I find the more complicated the world gets, the more I seek out simplicity in all that I do".

    This is exactly what I find I am seeking also. I think perhaps for me it is the 'wisdom' that has come in my 40's ~ we don't need 'stuff' to be happy, and in fact when we clear the excess clutter from our life and home, the mind has a much clearer space to function also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you completely, I am also wanting to live a simpler life, have less stuff that has to be maintained, cleaned etc, the more space I am making the better I feel. I have always rushed through my life, racing to get to the next thing, thinking of the next to do thing before I am even part way through the "Now" thing, so I am never just enjoying the "now", never in the moment always trying to be in the future. I am trying so hard to change that way of thinking (which is all it is) & choose to enjoy & think about where I am at right now. Breaking old habits isn't easy but I am going to change as I think life is so much more enjoyable if you savour it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I run without an ipod, I unplug from the world and just let my mind wonder, it is the one time of day I have to declutter my head and dream big :) Just me, my running shoes and the pavement....it is so liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently went to a neighbour's house to lock it up before a storm hit (we live in the country..it was wide open)..it was sparse..they only had what they needed..and ever since I have found myself wanting it.x D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh A-M! I am in the middle of yearning for simplicity. That quote from Einstein really got me. Especially since many people suspect Einstein to be ASD like my engineerBoy5. Thanks for the encouragement. I even dumped the knife block thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree, A-M. There is a lot to be said for the simple things in life.
    As we cycle through the seasons and the warmer weather makes us yearn to throw open our doors and hearts and embrace the casual lifestyle that we Brisbane-ites are famous for, we find ourselves appreciating simplicity in our lives, our homes and our family and friends. It reminds us of what is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes we embrace simplicity here as you have probably found A-Me. When I need a clear head I retreat from social media for a bit too because the brain can only cope with so much unnecessary stimulation. It does the soul good to step back occasionally and let yourself think.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am one of those who go and go and go and then life brings me to a sudden stop.
    Its always one of those moments that I stop, reassess and recognise why life has thrown me a speed bump. Then I eventually start back on the travelator until it starts to be speed up again. I have always heard there is a moment when "stuff" just falls into place, I guess that's when we let it. Great post A-M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. I feel profoundly altered by dramatic events in our family this year, and your thoughts today are so much what I am feeling. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh A-M,
    Your speaking my language.
    I want life to be simplier, the stress of running everywhere all the time takes its toll.
    Is life better if you pack your day with endless activities or do you feel better with life after a walk on the beach and a quite dinner at home. These "moments" are rare for me and I pine for more.
    Having your own business with the never ending list of tasks to complete is really hard particularly in the economic climate over the last couple of years as you now have to do more things your self to save on costs. How do you make it simpler with all these competing agenda's? I think I need to try harder. The moments between the chaos are wonderful.

    Here's to more "moments"

    Thanks for a wonderful post.

    warm wishes,
    Daryl x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't stand to be busy all the time. I'm trying to help the kids realise they can be happy with their own company too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ha! simpler life, not yet I'm afraid, I imagine not till I get to the nursing home, and even then I bet it gets more complicated!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is exactly what I always felt.From argentina I congratulate you, keep on inspiring us. Thanks Karina Cavanna

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've worked out the true meaning of life I think. We need to slow down, relax our minds and connect with others. I'm trying so hard to get there too. Giulia x

    ReplyDelete
  19. truly, the teachings of buddha remind us that no life is free from clutter, from suffering.
    we each need our box or corner to go to - to be reminded that time alone, to pray, to meditate and to find peace is joy.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, yep and yep and I am definitely doing it!! This resonated with me because I am working hard to orchestrate these simplistic changes and keep it that way! Then maybe I can sit back and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. A-M xx